How Do I Get Rid of a Keloid Scar on my Hand? (photo)

I have some type of scar on my hand. I think it's a keloid scar. It's dark in one part & then lighter than my skin color in another part. It's also risen.

Doctor Answers 4

Hypertrophic scar on the hand

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This hypertrophic scar of the hand can be improved with IIT and laser treatment.  Surgery is a less likely option for treatment.

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Depends upon the scar....

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


If the scar appears hypertrophic, a scar revision might be helpful. You need a proper evaluation by an experienced surgeon to tell the best course of action.


Best Regards,


John Di Saia MD



John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Scar Treatments

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While it is very difficult to assess based on your pictures, it does appear that your scar is in fact hypertrophic (raised up) and discolored.  Treatment options include intralesional Kenalog (cortisone) injections, revision surgery, laser treatments and topical treatments.  In my office, I get great results with intralesional Kenalog and topical treatments and so that is where I would start with your scar. I recommend you consult a well-trained, board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for evaluation and discussion of treatment options. Keep in mind, it is not possible to replace a scar with no scar. 


Channing R. Barnett, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologist
4.1 out of 5 stars 8 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

it is impossible to get rid of scars completely.  Sometimes scars cna be revised if they did not heal properly.  Topical treatment may also be beneficial in some circumstances.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.