What Can Get Rid of an Indented Scar Left by a Laser in the Delicate Thin Skin Below my Eye?

What Can Get Rid of an Indented Scar Left by a Laser in the Delicate Thin Skin Below my Eye?

Doctor Answers 2

Subcision, Fillers and Medical Microneedling Work Well For Improving Depressed Scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Depressed scars, i.e. those possessing dense fibrous scar tissue that pulls down the overlying skin can be treated in a variety of fashions depending upon their size, location, and the healing history of the particular person.

Without pictures, any discussion of scar treatment must be kept to generalities. That being said, subcision is a very gratifying way for elevating depressed scars. In this procedure, which is performed under local, a small needle is inserted under the scar and moved around to break up the abnormal scar collagen below. This serves two purposes: 1) to free up the overlying skin to "float" to the surface, and 2) to stimulate new healthy, native collagen to fill the space created in this fashion. The result: a smoother site that is more level with the surrounding normal skin.

Not uncommonly the texture and coloration of a scar are different than normal skin. To attempt to blend the scar more with its surroundings, I have found medical microneedling to be helpful. Here, under local, a device containing many arrays of sterile surgical needles is moved in all directions over the scar surface to break up the surface tissue and allow it to reheal more normally. 

Alternatively, if the area is small and relatively distensible, a microdroplet of a smooth filler material, such as Juvederm Ultra XC may be placed directly underneath to smooth the overlying area. 

I would be hesitant to use a lasers in this case as a laser was the cause of the initial scar.

New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Laser, Filler or excision are often the choices for getting rid of a depressed eyelid scar.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Without photos it is difficult to know what would be best for you.  I would recommend that you see a well-respected cosmetic eyelid surgeon who also has extensive laser experience to discuss options for your scar. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.