Results between before and after photos of Brazilian butt lifts done in the U.S. vs. Dominican Republic?

Why are there vastly different results between the before and after photos of Brazilian butt lifts (BBL) done in the U.S. vs. Dominican Republic? When I inquired about fat transfer options with my PS in 2013 during a consult for Liposuction, he seemed insulted by my inquiry. Now BBL have become popular, with varying degrees of moderate to "extreme" results. The latter seems to be the case with BBL done overseas? What are the dangers/risk with such a procedure and the caricature-like results?

Medical Tourism

Medical tourism has becoming increasingly popular in recent years; patients have been flying out of the U.S. for plastic surgery, lured by lower prices.Tijuana Mexico is the most popular place for patients from Southern California to go to - sometimes with reasonable results and sometimes with medical disasters. As a practicing Surgeon in Southern California - I am in the position to see many of these problems and try to reverse deformities that often can't be totally corrected

Interestingly, a parallel trend has also appeared: plastic surgeons in the United States are finding themselves treating an increasing number of patients who plastic surgery abroad, correcting complications and errors. A survey by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons found that 80% of the responding doctors had treated American medical tourists for complications including infection, contour abnormalities, and hematoma.

Medical tourists are often led to believe that they will receive the same quality of care for a lower price in a foreign clinic. But while it is true that the cost of plastic surgery in some foreign countries is lower, this is often because the quality of care and surgery is compromised. Such patients also seem to neglect the possibility of complications and the need for a follow-up visit.

In addition to the risks posed by sub-standard medical care abroad, medical tourists must consider the risks of injections and implants in other countries. The recent crisis with French breast implant maker Poly Implant Prothese (PIP) exemplifies this problem. PIP used industrial- rather than medical-grade silicone on their implants in an effort to reduce costs, a measure which probably increased the danger of rupture. PIP implants have not been used in the United States since 2000. Removal of these implants has been recommended by the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.

It is often the case that medical tourists end up spending more money because they have to pay to treat complications from their overseas surgery.

Source: The Cost of Medical Tourism – Medscape Medical News Source: Official Statement on Faulty PIP and ROFIL breast implants – ISAPS

Medical Tourism

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I think that there are good surgeons everywhere.  Certainly risks are increased the less and less conservative you become.

I would try to find a board certified plastic surgeon who has performed thousands of these procedures and who has pictures and reviews you like.

When you're looking for a cosmetic procedure you find a surgeon that has been certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who is highly experience in Brazilian Butt Lifts.  choose one wisely.  Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. and free Face to face consultation.  

A "BBL" Brazilian butt lift harvest fat from areas ( Liposuction ) with the fat removed from the areas using your own fat it transfer to the buttocks and into the hips.The common donor sites for this procedure is your posterior waist/flanks, lateral thighs, back, waist, and anterior tummy.  This is a safe and effective way to contour the lower body.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided infromation as well.. Each surgeon has it's own ways to perform procedures, at the Dominican Republic the results are more noticeable because surgeons here do more lipo and obtain more fat/.

Plenty of Excellent Brazilian Butt Lift Plastic Surgeons in the US

Brazilian Butt Lift results are not country- dependent, they are SURGEON-dependent. There are plenty of plastic surgeons in the United States who get excellent results with BBL. I would recommend finding one of them to perform the procedure,  preferably close to your home to avoid complications associated with travel and to make your follow-ups easier. In fact, I would say the better BBL surgeons do have varying degrees of results because they tailor their technique to each individual patient instead of pushing their own idea of what looks good on to every patient. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

BBL

There are many good surgeons in the US. I would suggest you stay locally to have it done so that you can get the appropriate care post-op.

BBL