What can I do about a painful & disfiguring scar around my nipple that is there for a year after breast augmentation?

After a year, I have a painful scar around the nipple after breast augmentation to match the new breast. It started out with a bad reaction to the stitches which was treated with steroid cream by my plastic surgeon. It has not improved and seems to be even worse. Sometimes painful after exertion or friction. What can I do? Nothing my plastic surgeon did ever helped and I don't want to spend so much more money but it is not only disfiguring but still painful.

Doctor Answers 8

Painful and disfiguring Breast Aug Nipple Scar

The best thing to do is get a second opinion.  
Unfortunately, without seeing the scar and examining you, it is tough to make a recommendation.   But, there are most likely things that can be done.  After one year, scar revision is most likely going to be your best option.   But you will need to be seen in person to find out for sure.  

Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 113 reviews



I'm sorry to hear about your discomfort. There are a few scar treatments which may be an option for you such as silicone sheeting, micro needling, steroid injections or surgical revision. You may want to seek a second opinion from a Plastic Surgeon in person.

All the best

Jerome Edelstein, MD
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 176 reviews

Disfiguring areola scar

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your scarring issues.  There are a number of options available to try and improve the appearance of a scar and even improve painful scars but without a full series of photographs it is difficult to offer definite advice.  See the link below for some useful information.

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

Painful scar

Dear madam,
 Sorry for your problem, however without examining you or seeing your pictures , it is impossible to give you intelligent and relevant answer to your question.
 It is very unusual to have painful scar in breasts augmentation. In case of hypertrophic (thick) scar, injection with Kenalog (Cortison) can be helpful as well as scar revision.
 If you lost your confidence in your surgeon, get a second opinion with experienced board certified plastic surgeons.
                 Best of luck,
                                   Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
McLean Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 124 reviews

Scar issue

I think that you need to be seen in person to determine if there is any benefit in performing a scar revision. Best of luck.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

What can I do about a painful & disfiguring scar around my nipple that is there for a year after breast augmentation?

Please submit a photos of the scar. We cannot come up with a solution without seeing the scar. Guesswork will not help you.

Disfiguring scar a year after augmentation

Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately without a photograph or an in-person examination, it is difficult for me to recommend a corrective course for your concerns.  I recommend that you seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or perhaps further follow-up with your PS for advice.  I wish you good luck.

Breast scar pain

If your surgeon has run out of ideas I would see another plastic surgeon for another opinion. If my patients have a painful scar at one year or even much sooner, I usually start with steroid injection into scar which resolves the pain in most cases. If need further treatment needed,  then a scar revision and start a new healing cycle with close attention to scar care. Good luck.

Scott W. Vann, MD, FACS
Savannah Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.