Could no pain after coolsculpting be an indication that it did not work?

I had coolsculpting done on my back fat (bra line) on Wednesday. I did feel some bearable pain right after and for about an hour afterwards, but since I've literally had NO Pain. It is just very slightly tender to the touch....very slightly. I mean not even to the point that I jump or flinch when it's touched. My question is.....do you think it actually worked. I understand it's hard to say for sure, but could no pain be a sign that it did not work?

Good for you!

Discomfort after Cool Sculpting can range significantly.  Most people have little or no pain and describe the healing process very similar to the way you have described yours.  It does NOT mean that the procedure wasn't effective.

Best of luck to you!

G. Robert Meger MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

No pain after CoolSculpting

Most people do not have pain after CoolSculpting, so it is not unusual that you had none after treatment to your back area.  Having no pain is not a sign that the treatment did not work.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain after Coolsculpting

I am glad to hear that your experience was not painful. Patients tend to experience pain during and after coolsculpting fairly often and I doubt pain is an indication of its effectiveness.

Due to the high number of patients that experience pain with Coolsculpting, we at the Clevens Center tend to suggest our patients and friends try Sculpsure.

SculpSure is the only FDA-approved laser to provide the quickest treatment (25-minutes) and easiest recovery (none). Patients complete the treatment and walk out of our office ready to resume their ordinary activities. Sculpsure melts 25% of your unwanted stubborn fat and, instead of being painful, actually stimulates the patients with a warm pleasant feeling.

As with any surgical or non-surgical procedure, I suggest you consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon to receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available. A consultation provides you the opportunity to relay your concerns and desired outcome to the surgeon while the surgeon can assess your health profile and discuss his/her pertinent advice.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

No pain, no gain?

In the case of Coolsculpting, pain is not a requirement for effective results. Some discomfort usually accompanies freezing tissues, but that is described in very different terms by individual patients, ranging from no pain, to mild discomfort, to "That really hurts at first," to "Stop, I don't want to continue." Fortunately, the latter is infrequent, and the "No pain at all" is also uncommon at usual settings for most patients.

But no pain does not mean you will not see results. Only time and careful observation (photos) will truly answer this question. Let's hope you are one of the lucky ones with no pain and all gain! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Pain Free

The degree of pain or discomfort following CoolSculpting varies person to person.  Most people describe the session and following days as either pain free or mildly uncomfortable.  No worries that the treatment did not work! 

No pain after Coolsculpting

There are certain areas (like the abdomen) that have more discomfort when being treated.  The bra fat area is typically painless.  The love-handle area burns when the applicator is taken off but has no discomfort thereafter.
Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

No Pain Following CoolSculpting

The degree of discomfort after CoolSculpting has no bearing on the results.  Thankfully, minimal to no pain following treatment is common, and patients still experience excellent results.  You can relax and wait for your results!

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Pain

Coolsculpting is generally a painless procedure.  If a patient experiences pain it has no bearing on the results or effectiveness of the procedure.  Best, Dr. Green

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
Some people don't have any pain with coolsculpting.
You will probably get a great result without pain which is amazing for you

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Pain After CoolSculpting

Most people don't experience any pain or discomfort after a CoolSculpting treatment. In our experience, only about 10% of our patients experience any sort of discomfort after the procedure and this is all relative to each individual and their sensitivities. If the treatment was performed properly then it will work for you. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon