How long after rhinoplasty should I be worried about hitting or bumping it?

Im also a pretty clumsy person in general and I like to play around with my dog and boyfriend so I'm worried about damaging my nose afterward by not being careful enough. I know that the healing takes up to a year, but I was wondering when I could stop being so careful about where my face is? Would I be able to kiss? I also have a job where I work with dogs that can get pretty crazy.

Worried about hitting nose after rhinoplasty

The nose gets stronger everyday. The first couple weeks after rhinoplasty is the most vulnerable. Most plastic surgeons and rhinoplasty specialists will suggest waiting at least 2 weeks before resuming exercise, but 2 months before resuming contact sports. Always follow the care instructions of your rhinoplasty surgeon.

Dr. Chaboki

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Usually by about 6 weeks or so I give my patients clearance to do just about anything. Obviously, you take a hard hit to the nose like before your surgery, it can be damaged.

Rhinoplasty

It is important to follow the aftercare protocol of your plastic surgeon because every surgeon has slightly different instructions but I generally recommend at least 2 weeks of restricted activity for my patients after they undergo a rhinoplasty. This includes going back to work, running, sexual activity etc. After two weeks you may ease yourself back into these routines but refrain from any type of contact sport/activity for at least 6 weeks. If at work the dogs are large and tend to jump up on you, I would wait at least 6 weeks before returning to work to minimize the chance of one of them bumping your nose and causing any damage. Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon