Liposuction only or tummy tuck? (photo)

I am a 5'2, 163 pounds and 52 years old. I did not have any children and I don't have any stretch marks. However, my abdomen has a lot of fat and some hanging skin. Can I get away with just liposuction? If I get liposuction now, will it be cheaper to get a tummy tuck later?

Liposuction only or tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question. From the information and photos provided, you appear to be a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction to the waist and back to optimize your overall shape. Tummy tuck will remove the excess skin and fat from the lower abdomen and restore the weakened abdominal wall, giving a firmer and smoother appearance. Liposuction to the back and waist will give you a lean appearance and accentuate the hour glass figure. Tummy tuck is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results if done correctly.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty - Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question and for sharing photos. You seem to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck. A special kind I perform is called a Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty. This procedure will remove loose skin, and tighten abdominal muscles. I usually perform liposuction along with this procedure to add waistline contour. If you opt for Liposuction alone, you will be left with even more loose skin and might not be happy with the results. Make sure you have a consultation in person with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in this area. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Liposuction only or tummy tuck?

GreetingsThank you for your question, liposuctiona and tummy tuck is best recommeded for you and will have good results. Nutational Infrasonic Liposclupture is an effective method in terms of removing the excess fat tissue. In case of presence of excess skin tissue; this excess skin tissue can also be excised and removed. Therefore this method can be combined with lifting operations. If the skin laxity is not too excessive and it can be solved with a non-surgical procedure like Spider Web Method; this method also can be used.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Lipo or TT??

your photos show that you would do best with a full TT first, to be followed in 3-6 months with lipo of the abdomen and back region to improve your shape and contour. liposuction alone will give some improvement, but you will have many irregularities in the skin shape. i would not recommend this choice. the correct choice is TT 1st, followed by lipo later.

Liposuction or Tummy Tuck.....?

I would definitely recommend a Tummy tuck and liposuction for the best results.   Liposuction alone will make you smaller.  If done by a Plastic Surgeon who specializes in this, you can get a great result as far as shape, but your skin will be more loose.   A Tummy Tuck will tighten your skin, but your shape overall will be about the same.  The combination of the two will give you a beautiful figure and tighter skin.

My advice

Hello,  thank you for your question and photos.  Even though you didn't have any pregnancy in the past you still have loose skin because weight fluctuations.   So my advise is that you have liposuction combined with a Tummy Tuck at the same time. Search for a certified Plastic surgeon for a correct treatment. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Liposuction, tummy tuck, fatty abdomen, loose skin, Choice of surgery

Thanks for the query. Though one has to see you in person and examine you, from the pictures you do seem to have both fat excess as well as skin excess. You may also have some rectus muscle (abdominal muscle) weakness or divarication which will be found by examining you. In view of the above I guess you may need both liposuction and a tummy tuck procedure simultaneously and a muscle repair as needed. Do visit a certified surgeon to examine you and advice.Best wishes,Dr Alexander

Alexander George, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction only or tummy tuck? (photo)

I can see that you put the photos, I recommend you a tummy tuck with the liposculpture because a tummy tuck without the lipo will not give you the proper shape. You need the tt because you have sagging skin and flacidity. My best wishes for you.

Francisco Rodriguez Rosario, MD

Liposuction only or tummy tuck

Thank you for sharing your photos. As i can see in your photos, it looks like you have a lot of skin in your abdomen. I'll recommend a tummy tuck so you can have a flat abdomen and waist liposculpture so you can have a good shape. This will all depend of your medical evaluation.I hope my answer will help you to your question.

Before undergoing any surgical procedure, please seek a board certified plastic surgeon

Jairo Ulerio, MD

Loose skin...Lipo or Abdominoplasty?

It is difficult to offer any sound advice without at least evaluating photos.I typically advise patients to first determine the problem and then consider the treatment options. At times, patients will place the proverbial "cart before the horse." They want to know if procedure "x" will address problem "y." This is a counterproductive approach as each procedure is tailored to a particular issue. Excess abdominal skin and fat is a common concern. Typically this is best addressed via an abdominoplasty which will remove the excess skin and fat. SAL/Liposuction alone tends to exacerbate the problem further emptying the problem area and contributing to more of a "sagging" appearance.As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Kissimmee Plastic Surgeon