TT with Lipo. 1 week PO my skin has big blisters on it where the skin has peeled. Could my skin be pulled too tight? (Photo)

We removed my garmwnt today to check on the incision and as the tape was being removed my skin was being removed right with it. I FREAKED OUT!!!! I was never warned of my skin coming off as a possibility, could my skin have been pulled to tight? If so, how can that affect me? Why is this happening?

Skin issues after tummy tuck

It is not clear from the photos whether or not this is full thickness loss or partial loss. Best to follow the wound care of your doctor.

Blistering after Surgery

This could have resulted from tape or the garment being too tight. Either way, it is important to continue local wound care with antibiotic ointment and close follow-up with your plastic surgeon. I would see you twice weekly during the healing process to ensure things are healing well. Have them check your garment too to ensure it is not too tight. Best wishes for a speedy healing. 

The skin underneath the blistering is pink which is a good sign.  You should heal ok.  Please be sure to follow up with a board certified plastic surgeon to ensure a safe recovery.

Tummy Tuck Blistering post op.

Sorry to hear and see your concerns. As long a s the tissue under the skin remains pink you will likely heal in, but follow your PS's instructions and have close follow up. It may be just superficial from tape or tension , but your PS will want to watch out for any further signs of healing problems or tissue loss.

I hope you continue to heal uneventfully.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Blisters 1 Week Post-Op

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

The best thing to do with questions like this about post-op healing is to visit your surgeon to have the area examined and ensure that healing is progressing well. With the many months it could take for incisions and scars to completely heal it is best to discuss this with your surgeon.

Skin peeling

Thanks for the question and hope you are doing well.  It appears from the picture that you may have had some blistering of the skin, which is not uncommon soon after surgery.  It appears that the skin underneath the blister is pink and healthy.  I understand that it looks very concerning, but this should heal well.  You  should continue to follow up with your surgeon and follow their recommendations on care.   Have a blessed day.

Soumo Banerji, MD
Pasadena Physician