I want to know if I would be a good candidate for eyelid reduction surgery (Blepharoplasty)? (Photo)

Excess eyelid skin that eventually ends up drooping with age runs in my family. I am 42 years old and have always noticed the skin was not tight like others. The skin folds & droops down. It has gotten worse as I get older. My right eye is noticeably worse. I can have both eyes shut and go to open them. My left eye will open up rather easily while my right eye is stuck momentarily by the skin folded over the top lid. Both eyelids have too much skin. What is your advice on what I should do?

Excess upper eyelid skin

From the photo that you have provided it appears that you would be an excellent candidate for upper eyelid blepharoplasty.  A photograph of your eyes from a few years ago may also show some descent of your eyebrows and you may benefit from having your eyebrows elevated at the same time as having your upper eyelids addressed if during your consultation this proves to be of benefit. Best of luck!

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty

Yes, it looks like from the photos that you might benefit from a blepharoplasty.  Best to be evaluated in person.

Upper blepharoplasty candidate

The photograph demonstrates hooded and inelastic skin on the upper lids along with  slightly asymmetric eyebrows.  Asymmetric eyebrows will cause the eyelids also be asymmetric.  An upper blepharoplasty procedure can accomplish making the eyelids look more symmetrical by  removal of  a differential amount of skin and fat.  For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Blepharoplasty versus brow lift

You are correct in noting that facial features including eyelid anatomy tends to have a hereditary component. My advice based on the photograph is to look into a brow lift. Blepharoplasty alone would distort the relationship of the eyelids and brows, allowing the brows to come down even further onto the eyelids. This would give the eyes a "closed in" appearance. The brow cilia and the brow fat pads are below the orbital rim already. If you look in the mirror and use your fingers to lift the brow enough to get it above the bone - not too high - take a look at the eyelid contour... Lifting the brow would provide a much more attractive eyelid. There are many ways to lift the brow - several involve extensive dissection, including endoscopic lift. Several involve removal of tissue which tends to last longer. All methods have risks and benefits. Be sure to have all your questions answered prior to scheduling surgery. If you were to have a blepharoplasty, you might not have enough skin to consider a brow lift in the future because of lack of skin to tuck into the eyelid crease normally. When considering elective or cosmetic surgery, your results are not dependent upon timing of the procedure - so take your time deciding! Best wishes!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty will resolve your concerns

Thank you for your question. You look to be a very good candidate for an upper lid blepharoplasty. You have more skin and symptoms on the right side because your eyebrow is lower on the right side. Most women love having this extra skin removed. It is a simple procedure and can be done under local anesthesia. Good luck with your procedure. I think you will be very happy. Best wishes,Dr. Marcus Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid skin

Thank you for your question and great observations. You would be a candidate for removal of the excess skin. It is a quick recovery that creates a great result in you. It will brighten the eyes and rejuvenates the face with limited downtime. I would say, however, that your eyebrows also appear a little low. Therefore your best overall result may be to add in an endoscopic brow lift as well. Only a full exam with a board certified plastic surgeon can assess that. Best wishes.