Would I benefit from Coolsculpting? (Photo)

I'm a 5"1, 19 year old female, and weight around 200lbs (I use to weight between 175 and 180). I'm about 42" around my waist (would like to be between 38"-35") and my arms are about 15" (would like them to be about 12"-11"). I'm terrified of having any type of actual surgery done so I'm looking into alternatives. Would I be a good candidate for Coolsculpting or any other non-surgical procedure?

Coolsculpting and Good Candidates NYC

I have many patients such as yourself who consult me for Coolsculpting. I will tell you honestly what I tell them.  You need to consult a nutritionist and lose weight before you consider having Coolsculpting.  You will have much better results and will be happier with the procedure once you are  closer to your idea weight.  Best, Dr. Green

Would I benefit from Coolsculpting?

Thank you for your question. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns, learn more about the procedure, and find an option that fits you best.  An in-person assessment is always best.Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Would I benefit from Coolsculpting?

Hi and thanks for your question. While coolsculpting can improve the "pinchable fat" it appears that most of the fat which concerns you is actually intra-abdominal and would be unaffected by coolsculpting treatments.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Candidates for Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is for pinchable fat.  The machine has a suction unit that pulls in the pinchable fat to freeze. So if the fat cannot be pulled into the machine suction, then it won't work.  Sometimes patients have visceral fat around their inner stomach and intestines that makes the abdomen bulge.  In this scenario, sometimes the overlying fat is fibrous and difficult to pull into the suction unit.  In this case, it might be best to first lose a little weight with a healthy lifestyle then consider a Coolsculpting.  Keep in mind that Coolsculpting will not improve skin or tighten muscles.  Make sure to see a provider that has experience with this device for the best possible outcome.  

It depends on your expectation

It really depends on your expectation.  Your abdomen would respond well to coolsculpting if you do the appropriate amount and number of cycles.   Ideally, this would probably be 6 sites and 2 rounds.  Your arms have a considerable amount of excess skin, this will not change with any type of fat reduction procedure whether it be coolsculpting or liposuction.  In addition, I find coolsculpting a poor choice for the arms, they do not have an applicator designed for this area.  I instead prefer a combination of ultrashape and radiofrequency therapy to treat the arms.  

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon