2 1/2 years post blepharoplasty large bumps are appearing on suture lines. What's happening? (Photo)

Had no problems with the surgery which was in May of 2014. About 3 weeks ago I started developing several bumps along the suture line, the worst being in the medial corner of the right eye. My surgeon is retiring next month and I can't get her to call me back. I have an appt with another plastic surgeon next week. These things don't itch and I can only see them. I don't feel them. Thanks for any help.

These are most likely inclusion cysts associated with your eyelid surgery.

These will need to be excised.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a regional director on their website that can help you identify a highly qualified surgeon in your area who can help you will this issue.

Upper lid cysts

It is unusual to get these so late after the surgery.  But if they are right along the incision line you have to wonder about cysts.  Will need to do a biopsy and then remove them.  They should heal up fine.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

They appear to be inclusion cysts.

These appear to be inclusion cysts. They may have been their but they were smaller and now they are growing and showing more. When we cut the skin there are gland openings that gets cut. And that is the reason, we can develop cysts in the surgical scars. It should not be difficult to remove them. Don't be too concerned. it should be OK to have them removed with no or very little scarring.  

Those are inclusion cysts, easily removed

Cysts can sometimes form along suture lines when skin cells get trapped during the healing process. Those trapped cells slowly produce keratin which is also trapped and the cyst grows. I would recommend that you see an Oculoplastic surgeon, an eyelid specialist, as these cysts could be easily removed. Good luck. 

Elba Pacheco, MD
Annapolis Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bumps are appearing

These may represent cysts. Sometimes skin cells can be trapped and grow under the skin after a blepharoplasty. Seein  another PS makes sense. It looks as though these could be easily removed.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Post-op Bumps

Hi kgains, 

Thanks for your question and photo. I'm sorry to hear that you've developed this issue. Post-op bumps can have a variety of causes including suture granuloma, suture abscess and hypertrophic scar formation. But typically, these bumps present well before 3 year post-op. Looking at the picture, I am not quite sure what those lesions are. 

I would recommend you follow up with your surgeon or the plastic surgeon you mentioned and have these lesions removed and sent for biopsy. Hope this helps!