Can implant displacement cause Inframammary fold to rise? Can this cause pain?

I had breast aug (gummy bears, 350cc) in 2010. Although I have always been active in 2013 I started crossfit/heavy lifting. In recent months I thought my left breast was shrinking as they began to appear asymmetrical. Have been monitoring & realized they are the same size but the inframammary fold on my left side has risen & my left breast appears fuller on the top. What could cause this to happen could it be related to exercise? Also have pain on this side in breast as well as in armpit area.

Implant Has Shifted Following Start of Crossfit/Heavy Lifting

Certain exercise routines that utilize the breast (pectoral) muscles can change the appearance of your breasts whether you have breast implants or not. Very heavy workouts could conceivably cause the implant to slide upward, or in the case of gummy bear implants to rotate, as the muscles are continually pushing it upward during workouts. While gummy bear implants are textured so they adhere and "stay put", my experience has been that they often do not, and they can rotate out of the desired position. What you describe may also be the start of capsular contracture, a condition where a capsule forms in the breast pocket which squeezes the implant. This can cause the implant to shift to a different position, become higher, firmer and can even cause considerable pain. When this happens, additional surgery is required to release the capsule. There is no way to reliably predict if someone will develop capsular contracture, although it does appear that some women are more prone to it, others never develop capsules. A visit to your surgeon to see what he/she recommends is needed.  

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry

If the breast is not a bit firmer than the right, I'm not sure there is a capsular contracture.  If the gummy bear implant is an anatomical implant there is a good chance that the implant has rotated 180 degrees.  This would cause the upper pole to be full and the lower pole of the breast at the bra line to appear to be higher.  Although most of the gummy bears are textured, in order the keep the implant from rotating, only about 50% will actually have tissue ingrowth.  If the implant is under the muscle, then the cross fit with the contraction of the pecs can place pressure on the implant to cause it to spin.  Its best to check with your plastic surgeon to sort out the issue.

R. McIntyre Bridges, MD
Shreveport Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

Thanks for the great question. It's difficult to tell exactly what is going on without a photo. As Dr. Rumalla already suggested, you could be developing a capsule around the breast which is higher, firmer, and more painful. If this is the case, then you would require an additional surgery to take the capsule out depending on who severe the capsular contracture is. It could also be that your implant has slid under your fold a little bit, giving the appearance that the incision has migrated up onto the breast. Either way, your best option is to make an appointment to see your surgeon so they can help you figure out what is going on. Best of luck to you!
~Dr. Sieber

Breast change

Thanks for your inquiry and it is difficult to advise without pictures or better an exam.  Your description sounds like possible capsular contracture.  Please go visit your plastic surgeon. 

Implant displacement

You may be developing a capsular contracture which can result in volume loss in the pocket with upper pole fullness and apparent elevation of the inframammary fold. This is not necessarily related to exercise. You should contact your plastic surgeon for an examination and considerations for treatment.

Capsular contracture

This sounds like capsular contracture.  There are multiple factors that contribute to the development of capsular contracture.  These include bleeding, bacteria on the surface of the implants, powder from gloves, fibers from the gauze or drapes, patient factors.  We control all the variables that can be controlled.  We use the no touch technique to handle the implants.  We employ implant massage after surgery.  We use prostaglandin inhibitors if necessary.  There is evidence that hyperbaric oxygen can be helpful.  Silicone that bleeds causes capsular contrature that increases over time:  this is one of the reasons I prefer saline implants

Change shape after breast augmentation

Hi jry2016without looking at pictures is not possible to know exactly what is happening but it sounds to me you are developing a capsular contracture.Capsular contracture is what some patient call "rejection" of the implant but this is not correct.Capsular contracture is a thickening of the scar tissue around the implant (capsule) that can literally squeeze the implant. This can happen even after few years like in your case,would explain the impression that you had of a smaller size , would explain the fullness on top and the pain.You should see your surgeon and could consider a capsulectomy wich is the surgical removal of the scar tissue around the implant. Best wishesMr Netri

Giorgio Netri, MBBS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Implant Position Concern

If you note a new change in shape/position of the breast it is best that you have it assessed in person by your Plastic Surgeon. You may be dealing with implant malposition or early capsular contracture which must be determined with a physical exam.
All the best

Probably emergence of capsular contracture.

A breast implant will not cause the infra mammary fold to rise. However capsular contracture can artificially support the volume of the implant and leave it with this appearance.