Wondering if I appear to be a good tummy tuck candidate, and if so, would I benefit from full or mini? (Photo)

I'm 28 yrs old. I'm in great health, eat healthy and workout regularly. I have 2 year old twins and just cannot get rid of this pouch.

Wondering if I appear to be a good tummy tuck candidate, and if so, would I benefit from full or mini?

If you are done having children, a mini-tummy tuck may be an option for the bulge but an in-person evaluation would be a better way to assess this. See link below for examples. 

Candidate for Tummy Tuck with Different Procedures

A variety of tummy tucks are available. Patients who only need a tightening of the abdominal muscles or removal of a small amount of skin may be best treated with a “mini-tuck.” Patients who have undergone massive weight loss, on the other hand, will probably require more extensive surgery.

An abdominoplasty is usually done under general anesthesia. An incision is made along the lower abdomen at about the pubic hair line, and another incision is made around the belly button which stays attached to the muscle.

Mini-abdominoplasty tightens the lower abdominal wall and skin below the umbilicus, belly button, only (shortest scar).

Modified abdominoplasty addresses conditions where just the muscle wall or just the abdominal skin requires repair.

Standard abdominoplasty tightens all of the abdominal wall skin and muscles above and below the belly button. The scar can be altered or lowered to be hidden by most panty lines and bathing suits. (Standard scar).

Extended abdominoplasty tightens the abdomen and the flanks or sides (longest scar extending around the flanks onto lower back.)

A general anesthetic is most common, although mini-tucks may be done with local anesthetic and intravenous sedation. A standard abdominoplasty is generally an outpatient procedure, but extended abdominoplasty may require a short hospitalization of 1–2 days.

It would be up to you to determine which procedure you think would best achieve the results you are looking for. If you just have a pouch or loose skin to remove there may not be the need to take on the full extended procedure, but you should always have consultations with local board certified plastic surgeons to help determine all the details of your case and what would be best for your desired results. Best of luck!

Full tummy tuc whenever you are ready

Complete your family if you wish for more kids. You will need full tummy tuck at that time. It will fix all your issues in exchange for a low bikini line scar.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Wondering if I appear to be a good tummy tuck candidate, and if so, would I benefit from full or mini

I think you would do fine with a mini tummy tuck. The difference going with the full would be small

Julio Garcia, MD

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos you appear to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck procedure to produce beautiful overall results.  Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your surgical options, address you goals and work together to build a surgical plan that will best help you achieve the overall look you desire.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Full vs mini TT

Thank you for your question and photos. You are a GREAT candidate for a full abdominoplasty. Your pregnancy with your twins has led to stretching of your abdominal muscles which is causing that pooch that you're referring to. To get a flat, tight abdomen you will need muscle plication or tightening from your ribcage down to pubic bone which is part of a full abdominoplasty. Most patients who have tightening of only their lower abdomen end up with a pooch in the untightened upper abdomen. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a mini tummy tuck.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Full or mini tummy tuck?

Hello and thank you for your question. I am not a fan of mini tummy tucks as there are very few people who are good candidates for it. I do however believe that you are one of the few who fit the bill. High riding belly button. Lax fascia and little loose skin.

Good luck.

Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Full Or Mini Abdominoplasty

An in person consultation will be required to assess the laxity of your abdominal tissue. You may or may not have enough to do a full Tummy Tuck. Mini Tummy Tuck is indicated when there is no concern or issue with laxity above the umbilicus. I recommend that you meet with a board certified Plastic Surgeon in person to discuss your best options.

All the best

Would I benefit from full or mini?

With the minimal skin laxity we see in your photo the "pouch" is likely due to a diasasis or natural separation of the sit up muscles that can occur with pregnancy. A mini tummy tuck, much like a c-section scar gives the room needed to correct the separation, and should also be no problem if you ever go for another pregnancy.