I had a Tummy tuck with massive lip of my thighs 13 days ago. I'm in a lot of pain. Any suggestions?

Pain after liposuction and tummy tuck

The short answer is it would be impossible for us to give you advice without having more information about the pain. Such as where is it located, what does it feel like? Also is this pain new  or is it pain you've had since your surgery?  If you're concerned, the safest thing to do is to contact your surgeon.

Savannah Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (2 weeks post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Pain at 13 Days Post-Op

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

Swelling and pain can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

You are still early in the healing process but if you find yourself concerned it would be best to visit your surgeon for an examination to make sure that healing is progressing well. Good luck.

A Lot Of Pain After Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

If you are in that much pain nearly 2 weeks after your procedure, you should immediately follow up with your surgeon. You did not state where the pain is, but it would be especially concerning if it is in your calves as it may be a blood clot which means you should head directly to the emergency room for a thorough evaluation and treatment if necessary.  Regardless of where the pain is, if it is that excruciating for you, head immediately to your surgeon's office or the Emegency Room. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician