What rhinoplasty could I do to make my bulbous nose sharper and prettier? (Photo)

I want my nose to look more ideal without looking to obvious. I don't like that cookie cutter nose job where it's too upturned and long looking. It's has a very bulbous tip but straight bridge

Bulbous tip

Fundamentally , it appears that you would benefit from tip narrowing procedures which would include trimming of the lateral crus of the tip cartilages,  likely combined with suturing of  the tip cartilages to narrow  the tip further. 

It also appears that you would benefit from lessening tip projection slightly . This involves resection or repositioning of a small segment of the lower and possibly medial crurae of the lower lateral cartilages.

Make sure you see a surgeon highly experienced with rhinoplasty surgery.

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

One of the reasons that I love performing the rhinoplasty procedure is because, for me, it is always about finding the right nose for each individual patient. It's all about proportion. My best advise would be for you to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who specializes in rhinoplasty in order to be assessed in person and discuss your options. There's not reason for you to be unhappy with your nose or to expect a nose that looks like everybody else. You are unique and so is your nose. Hope this helps.

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

What rhinoplasty could I do to make my bulbous nose sharper and prettier?

The appearance of your nose can be improved with an artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an examination and discussion about desired outcome. No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile. 

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and technically how to do it based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or the Canadian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (CSAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. 

Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue. 

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  If you don't like the outside appearance of your nose the first place to start is to consult with an experienced Board Certified rhinoplasty plastic surgeon.  They can evaluate you in person and go over the possibilities with you.  Best of luck.

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinopasty to Improve My Bulbous Tip

A rhinoplasty can be done to narrow your wide, bulbous, asymmetrical, over projected tip. Consult with an experienced rhinoplasty specialist who can show you multiple examples of great results in patients like you so you achieve a natural feminine result.

Thank you for the question and at a complimentary consultation by an expert who uses digital photography, you will be able to see what changes are possible with your nose and they would be performed.  So see some experts that use this technique

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a nasal tip deprojection to make your nose less long overall.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Closed rhinoplasty for bulbous tip reduction

A Closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish with refining and narrowing the bulbous tip.  Thick skin in the tip of the nose will be an impediment to seeing  refinement in that area.  to accomplish refinement includes suture techniques, cartilage removal, and sometimes cartilage grafting techniques. For more information about bulbous tip reduction,  and many before and after examples, please see the link and video below

Bulbous tip and retracted nasal ala

In order to correct a bulbous tip, the cartilage in that area needs to be refined. This is generally accomplished by performing several tip defining techniques to the "lower lateral cartilage." In the past, resection of excess cartilage was routinely performed. In the last decade, we have moved away from destructive techniques and we now preserve as much structural integrity as possible. For example, I now commonly perform "cephalic fold over flaps" instead of performing a "cephalic trim."  

In order to correct mild retraction of the alar rim, small pieces of septal cartilage are used in order to place "alar rim grafts." These grafts ensure smooth contour of the alar rim and long term structural integrity.

Robert Morin, MD, FACS