What are the risks of necrosis or blindness with Juvederm in lateral brows?

On Oct 28th (about 11 days ago) I purchased 1 tube of Juvederm for my lips. The whole tube was not used and the left over was placed in my lateral brows to slightly lift my eyes. I don't have any bruising and it looks nice. I did some research on Juvederm and learned that it can cause blindness or necrosis. I'm really freaked out. How long until I know that I will not have these side effects? If someone were to experience one of these side effects, how long after injection until they occure?

Risk of necrosis or blindness

The risk of having necrosis or blindness is very rare ,it is critical for injecting physicians to have a firm knowledge of the vascular anatomy because injecting into an artery could cause blindness and necrosis . The side effects are seen immediately after the treatment.  

Montreal Dermatologist

Juvederm Side Effects

The risks of blindness or necrosis for your treated area are negligible. You would have experienced symptoms already, so you should be fine.  Necrosis and blindness is a risk for any injection of fillers in high risk areas. Best, Dr. Emer

Blindness/necrosis from Juvederm in brows

This is a rare possibility and this will occur almost always immediately after injection. There have been only about 100 cases of blindness after injections and only 1 or a few have not occurred immediately. The others occurred within 24 hours. I wouldn't be at all concerned at this point.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

beautyaddict13,

Blindness and necrosis has been reported with filler injection in the area BETWEEN the eyebrows (glabella). This is because of the blood supply in this area is tenuous and connects to the blood supply of the eye. The complication would occur during or immediately after the injection. Blanching and pain at the site would signal a blocked vessel. I would recommend discussing these concerns with your doctor who did your injection. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Necrosis or blindness after filler

The risks are very low for this type of complication, especially in the area you are treating.  You would notice signs of duskiness, pain, blanching either immediately or within the first few hours. Enjoy your new filler!

Michelle Ellern, DO
Livingston Physician

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your JVD lip and lateral brow augmentation.  The risk of skin necrosis or blindness when the filler is placed into the lateral brow is nearly 0%.  If you were to have suffered either complication it would have been evident within minutes to an hour after treatment.  Hope this helps.