What's going on? (Photo)

I had surgery August 27th and a week later some bruising under my belly button area started and I was just wondering what's anyone's take on this, I've been on antibiotics since August 25th, and week after surgery been taking them 2 times a day, surgeon said it wasn't an infection, I started smoking in March and quit two weeks before surgery, I would smoke 3 times a day, and I haven't smoked after surgery at all. Sorry all pictures are appearing upside down :-/

Post op tummy tuck necrosis

Unfortunately you have necrosis (loss of skin due to lack of blood) of your abdominal skin and this requires immediate attention. The necrotic tissue will need to be removed and you will need wound care until your body heals. Continue to avoid tobacco smoke both first and second hand. See you surgeon ASAP...

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

What's going on?

you have an area of decreased blood flow to the skin and fatty tissue. therefore, it will heal very slowly over months. certainly, your smoking is a contributing factor in this slow healing. you need to be patient, it will probably heal nicely with time and proper wound care by your BCPS. any residual scar can be improved once healing is complete. you will still get a nice improvement.

What is going on TT

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about the outcome. Your picture shoeing necrosis of tissue from compromised blood supply. Need debridement and wound care and possibly antibiotics. I recommend you to closely follow up with your PS. Good Luck  

Necrotic tissue

Unfortunately, you have developed one of the worse complications from TT surgery, skin necrosis.  And it seems to be quite extensive.  This may certainly have been high influenced by your smoking, even though you quit pre-op.  If you are around smokers in your home, the second hand smoke can be almost as dangerous to you.   This will EVENTUALLY heal after long term wound care, debridements and possible oral antibiotics as needed.  You should at this point be seeing your PS at minimum 2x per week until this appears to be in a better healing stage.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

What's going on

From the photos it appears that you have developed an area of necrosis of the skin that is furthest away from the good blood supply to the abdominal skin. Your plastic surgeon will help you along with debridements and dressing change regimens to allow this to heal. A revision may be necessary to give a satisfactory outcome. This will take many months to heal. Be patient. Definitely do not smoke. Good luck

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

What's going on?

You are demonstrating the result of one of the most serious complications in TT surgery. A full thickness skin, fat necrosis due to vascular compromise in the inferior portion of the abdominal flap. I am so very sorry. The additional issues are your smoking and excess weight, surgical technique use. Best to allow the healing process which will take months...

Poor perfusion

Hi, BamBam23.  It seem like the blood supply to your lower abdominal area was compromised.  This may be due to your intrinsic blood supply to the area, smoking, and tightness of the wound.  I need to follow up with your plastic surgeon closely and continue with local wound care.  You will need debridement as needed.  Good luck.

What's going on?

Thank you for your question and photographs, and I am sorry that you are having to deal with this wound healing issue.  Tummy tucks involve the creation of a large skin flap that relies on a strong blood supply to ultimately heal the tissues down to your stomach muscles and along your incision line.  When this blood flow is compromised, the area that does not receive enough blood begins to "declare" itself and dies.  In a tummy tuck this is often the skin around and below the level of the belly button down towards the incision line.  At this time you need to give your body an opportunity to heal from the inside out, and your surgeon will need to remove some of the tissue that has not survived the surgery.  I would recommend you call their office to receive wound care recommendations.  

Tummy Tuck Complication

The tummy tuck relies on your circulation to keep the tissue alive. Smoking can affect this as well as how tight you are. You are experiencing some healing problems, possibly as a result of these or other issues. Your surgeon should be able to help you through this with appropriate wound care.