Should I Get Rhinoplasty? Bulbous and Wide Nose

Hi, Im 25yo male and I would like to get some info about what I could expect from a job to reduce the width and bulbous tip on my nose. Its a bit upturned too so Id like to get it a bit derotated so the thip does not "look" upwards. Could I get a nose that fits better my face with it? Ive had no prior jobs done. thanks in advance

Doctor Answers 14

Should I Get Rhinoplasty? Bulbous and Wide Nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is a tricky nose and needs an expert in thick skin and wide nasal base rhinoplasty. In order to correct the bulbous tip, the nose will become overprojected and over rotated therefore you need to deproject the nose as well as de-rotate it. The alars will have to be reduced since the de-projection will increase the flarring of alae and therefore widens the apparent nasal base. Postoperatively, will need steriod injection to reduce the scarring.

Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I get a Rhinoplasty?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The The anatomic problems you accurately describe can be corrected with a rhinoplasty. Find an experienced surgeon - your surgery will be challenging but your goals are reasonable. Only you can decide if you should have the rhinoplasty.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Well-performed Rhinoplasty Surgery may be used to improve the bulbous appearance of your tip.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I read your concerns, and reviewed your photos. Your bulbous tip may be narrowed and refined with Rhinoplasty Surgery. Nasal lenghthening or derotation of your tip is difficult to achieve with rhinoplasty surgery. You may consult several reputable, certified rhinoplasty specialists to see what could be achieved with well-performed Rhinoplasty Surgery.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 435 reviews

No one needs to get surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Should is not the right question, you need to look at your nose, evaluate what you don't like and then speak to an experienced rhinoplastic surgeon and decide on what can be done. If you agree that what you don't like can be corrected then go for it.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Derotation of the short nose and bulbous tip.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Derotation of the short nose and bulbous tip is something that should be done by a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. When a bulbous tip is narrowed by the usual methods the tip often rotates up and the nose is shorter, unless the surgeon knows how to do this without rotation.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Bulbous and wide nasal tip

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I agree that your nose is a failry complicated situation and requires a good consultation or two and good pre-operative planning.  In order to achieve your goal you will likely need to have an open rhinoplasty with significant modification of the tipe cartilages, possible grafting to reinforce the tip and a dorsal graft on the top of your nose to extend the nose to make it slighty longer.  I would advise consulting with several plastic surgeons before making your decision.

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Bulbous and Wide Nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


The best way to answer your question is to have computer imaging of your nose. This will give you a good idea of what to expect after the surgery. By refining your tip you can reduce the bulbosity and the width.



Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 285 reviews

Should I get a rhinoplasty?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

that question is very involved. After consultation, the surgeon whom you choose will tell you what can be improved with your nose, the costs, the convalescence, and the expected result. However whether or not you should undergo surgery really depends upon how you feel and perceive yourself. The only person who can answer this question is the patient after reviewing all of the input by an appropriate surgeon.

John E. Sherman, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

Complicated Rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your observations about the characteristics of your nasal tip are correct:  a bulbous, yet slightly over-rotated and under-projected tip.  Correction of an over-rotated, under-projected tip requires a caudal septal extension graft, or a procedure to lengthen the nose slightly.  In addition, you have what is called a "parentheses deformity" with enlarged, cephalic positioning of your upper lateral cartilages.  This is a complicated procedure, and one that should only be attempted by an experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 103 reviews

Bulbous Nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi there. Rhinoplasty (nose reshaping surgery) to address a wide nose is a common request. Most likely, an “open rhinoplasty” (where the soft tissues are gently elevated to allow direct access to the tip cartilages) will be required. These tip cartilages are then sculpted and sutured to refine the nasal tip. Osteotomies are required to reposition a wide nose closer to the midline.

Hope this is helpful. Best wishes.

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.