Is vertical scar with Tummy tucks something a patient could ask for? (photos)

I have had six children and it's obvious. I was wondering if I surgeon would be willing to do a vertical incision to get more stretch marks removed if I was ok with the scar. I still need to lose twenty five but I'm working on it.

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  This can be designed to remove a lot of your stretch marks.  I would not recommend a fleur di lis (vertical scar) tummy tuck in you.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Is vertical scar with Tummy tucks something a patient could ask for?

Thank you for your question.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line. Loss of skin elasticity and skin sagging occurs due to effects of gravity over time. These problems can be seen in any part of body but especially in abdominal area. Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) is a surgical procedure to make the abdomen thinner and more firm. It consists of removing excess skin and fat tissue and muscle repairing if required. In some patients it can be combined with liposuction

Scar placement. Some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. 

It is very important to discuss with your plastic surgeon how will be the resultant scars after surgery.

In the Tummy Tuck the scarring is hidden in the panties line. You will change abdominal sagging skin, fat tissue and stretch marks by an aesthetically acceptable scar. If you have a vertical scar component (like an inverted "T") probably the skin didn't reach down, and needed to do that to get a safety closure.

Therefore, the scar revision may be considered after six months of surgery.

Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Not A Good Trade-Off

A typical full abdominoplasty patient is at or near their ideal weight and is looking for help in removing excess skin and tightening of the abdominal wall after they are done bearing children. It can be a powerful procedure that can remove excess skin and stretch marks from below the belly button and tighten the belly muscles. 

The trade off is a scar in the bikini line that extends hip to hip and a scar around the belly button. Adding a vertical scar to the abdominoplasty can help tighten horizontal excess (especially in massive weight loss patients) but will not allow removal of all the stretch marks. 

The vertical scar is usually only appropriate for patients with a massive amount of horizontal excess - espcially since after a traditional abdominoplasty the remaining stretch marks will be repositioned low on the abdomen in a much more aesthetic position.

For more info on tummy tucks and mommy makeovers, see our link below.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical option. Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step. 

Vertical scar in tummy tuck

I have used a fleur-de-lis pattern which includes a vertical component for massive weight loss patients with severe laxity.  Best of luck.

You can request it, but you may not need it.

You can do it, but you are swapping stretch marks for a scar. Vertical scars on the abdomen don't usually look very good and so you may prefer the stretch marks! Even with a fleur-de-Lis, you are still going to have some stretch marks. Make sure the surgeon you are seeing offers a fleur-de-Lis or it won't be an option! Good luck

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Vertical scar

A vertical scar is not the most desirable and involves the fleur de lis abdominoplasty which leaves you with a vertical scar. Instead, a lower belt lipectomy combined with an upper body lift will be able to remove laxity in both the horizontal and vertical dimensions, which you are looking to achieve. 

Please see examples below. 

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Vertical Scar Tummy Tuck

Vertical scars are certainly an additional procedure with a tummy tuck.  These types of incisions are useful when there is massive weight loss.  Here is the key: Pull your skin together and see if removal of ALL of the stretch marks could be possible.  My guess is that you can't gather all the stretch marks.  Here is what you can consider: Liposuction before the tummy tuck.  With debulking the skin will be easier to gather.

Hope this helps

Dr. Dillon

Paul C. Dillon, MD

Vertical scar Tummy Tuck

Hello Raswork,

A traditional TT can remove a significant amount of stretch marks, usually those bellow your belly button, while stretching the ones above your belly button which improves their appearance greatly.  Stretch marks are much more noticeable when the skin is loose, but not as much when the skin is taught. From the photo you shared, this is likely to give you the best aesthetic result with the least noticeable scar.

Some women elect to have a fleur-de-Lis Tummy Tuck which removes excess skin and fat in both the vertical and horizontal directions. This type of TT generally is used when there is significant excess in both directions and involves both a vertical and horizontal incision.  A vertical only incision is usually reserved for ladies who have large scars on their abdomens from previous surgeries.

Make sure to communicate your body contouring goals when you decide to go for a plastic surgery consultation  so that you can together with your surgeon decide which of the techniques will give you the results you desire.

Best of Luck!

Dr. Rednam

Vertical scar

Usually, the indication for doing a vertical scar tummy tuck is when someone has other large scars on the belly.  For a conventional abdomen with stretch marks, a standard abdominoplasty will get rid of a lot of the stretch marks and the scar tends to be preferred. 

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon