How would a surgeon go about fixing my crooked nose and making it straight? (Photo)

I have a hook shaped nose that swings right. It's very obvious and it sticks out far. I'm very embarrassed about it and I think I would be beautiful if it fit my face better. I've always been a mouth breather so I don't know if that's related? What could be done & how much would such a procedure cost in my area? Could insurance cover anything since I am diagnosed with severe depression? Are better photos of my whole face needed?

How would a surgeon go about fixing my crooked nose and making it straight?

How the Rhinoplasty operation is performed?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

My comments

You must know that the degree of ugliness/deformity/subjective dissatisfaction with the nose is not necessarily correlated with the technical complexity and the costs.

Yours is a very simple and basic case, very difficult like any rhinoplasty but among the so called "basic rhinoplasties", ideal for endonasal (closed) approach and a quick procedure, less than 1 hour in experienced hands, total anesthesia and day case management.

You simulation is altogether realistic, feasible technically and showing good cosmetic judgment.

If you have budget limitations do consider a good rhinoplasty surgeon abroad.

Best of lucks.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty could give you a better nose

I think the best option for your case would be an open rhinoplasty. The photos you attach are not very clear so I am not sure of how exactly it is going to be corrected. Apart this I think that you will have a good improvement to your nose. It is not going to be perfect. The problem of depression is a negative parameter for such an operation because it could be deteriorated if a complication happens after the operation. So you have to discuss it with your psychiatrist. Cartilage grafts may be needed. The cost in Greece would be between 3500 to 5500 euros.

Hi, I have performed and taught Rhinoplasty for 30 years. From the photo your nose has a dorsal hump with an under-rrotated nasal tip.  The tip is wide and the nose itself is quite crooked.  The septum is likely deviated which is the cause of decreased ability to breathe through the nose.  An open Rhinoplasty to reduce the dorsal hump, straighten the nose and thin/rotate the nasal tip would be indicated IMHO.  Septoplasty would be performed to remove the deflected section of septal cartilage for improved nasal airway space.

The deviated nose

Correcting a deviated, crooked, nose can be one of the more challenging endeavors in rhinoplasty.  I believe it is best done through an open approach.  It most commonly involves straightening the bones and the nasal septum.  You usually cannot straighten one without the other.  I have attached a link for your information.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

You need to be evaluated in person and therefore should go for a consultation.  Deviation often can be improved.  I usually tell patients I can often make it straighter but never perfect.  Best of luck.

How would a surgeon go about fixing my nose

Looking at your pictures, you appear to have both dorsal and caudal overprojection, a broad base and a bulbous. You nasolabial angle is acute. An internal examination of the nose would reveal whether your septum is deviated or not.

Correction of the dorsal overprojection would require a dorsal reduction of the septum. There are several techniques for correcting caudal overprojection of the nose, and they all involve manipulation of the lower lateral cartilages. I commonly resect the middle crus of the lower lateral cartilages and then suture the lateral to the medial crus. Correction of the acute nasolabial angle can be achieved with a cephalic trim.

The tip can then be refined with sutures, commonly medial crural sutures, interdomal and transdomal sutures. The wide base is corrected with internal osteotomies. Finally, the internal valve is protected with autospreaders or spreader grafts.

I suspect you may not be able to get insurance to cover for the procedure. My advice would be to first of all have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Thank you.

Rhinoplasty and Insurance

Insurance will not cover a rhinoplasty. 
You have a short nasolabial angle, droopy tip, dorsal hump and deviation of the tip. All can be corrected significantly but you MUST discuss the surgery with your psychologist or psychiatrist. If any complications arise from the surgery your depression might get worst. You have to always prepare for that. 
Regards
Dr.J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for a crooked nose

A rhinoplasty procedure is required to straighten a crooked nose. Osteotomies are placed in the nasal bones to straighten them, and a cartilaginous spreader graft harvested from inside the nose is placed underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage in the midportion of the nose. For many examples and more information about crooked nose repair, please see the video and the link below