Is it better to lose weight before doing a breast reduction OR just doing the surgery?

Breast reduction and weight loss

If you are planning to lose weight, then I would suggest doing it before surgery.  If you are close to your goal weight then you probably can just go ahead and have it done.

Weight loss prior to breast reduction

Thank you for your question. In general, it is best to be close to your ideal weight prior to undergoing breast reduction surgery. Statistically, a higher body mass index will increase the risk of surgical as well as postsurgical complications. Best regards.

Thank you.  Generally, it's best to be close to your ideal weight before surgery in order to improve aesthetic results and reduce risks for complications.  BMI of less than 30 would be good.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Losing weight before a breast reduction

Hello and thank you for the question.I would recommend losing weight prior to the procedure if you are considering losing a significant amount of weight. If not, you are likely fine to proceed with the surgery. I recommend conferring with your surgeon. Best of luck,Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Weight loss before surgery

It is necessary to be within 20 pounds of your goal weight before surgery. It is more important to be consistent with your weight as that it would be the best measure for your surgeon to use during your consultation.

Losing weight before surgery

you should be at a stable weight before any body contouring surgery.  losing weight does not affect the outcome of the surgery.  If you think you can be lighter, then go for it.  If you don't think that's reasonable as a goal, then there's no major reason to wait.

Weight loss prior to breast surgery

Hi there and thanks for posting.You should aim to be at a healthy weight prior to any elective surgery.That said, many patients seeking breast reduction surgery are unable to lose weight due to the restrictions imposed upon them by the size and weight of their breasts.My advice would be, if possible. you should  be as close to your goal weight as you can prior to your operation. The reason for this is, that if your surgeon achieves a nice breast size and shape and then you lose a significant amount of weight then this could alter the final result.
If you find your breasts are limiting your weight loss then you don't really have a choice.If you are only planning on losing a few kgs then it doesn't make much of a difference.I hope that helpsBest wishesRichard

Breast Lift /Breast Reduction/ Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

I appreciate your question. For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Although the breast reduction surgery may help you at this point, if you are contemplating the weight loss then it would be in your best interest to have the breast surgery after you have reached your long-term stable weight (if possible). Doing so will help minimize risk of surgery and improve your chances of achieving your goals and minimize the chances that revisionary breast surgery (to treat “sagging” for example) will be necessary afterwards. You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more.