I had never heard of Dysport filler. Is it better or just as good as Botox? Any negative feedback?

Dysport vs Botox

Both products work in the same fashion and injected in a similar way.  The main difference to consider is dosing and injection technique.  I use both products in my patients and I ensure that they feel comfortable that with good technique, both products can deliver amazing results.

Dysport® is another brand name for botulinum toxin A, the same active ingredient as in Botox Cosmetic®. Together with Xeomin®, this FDA approved class of medicines are called neuromodulators. They are not dermal fillers, which "fill in" creases, rather than relax wrinkle forming muscles, which is the action of neuromodulators. 

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Dysport vs. Botox

The active ingredient in Dysport and Botox is similar.  The difference comes in that Dysport patients often report an earlier onset of action and longer duration than Botox users.  The amount of units used is different as well.  As a general rule, 3 Dysport units is similar to 1 unit of Botox.  The cost per unit reflects this, meaning that the treatments when given in standard dosages are similar as well.  I encourage you to speak with your injector as to which is best for you.

Camille Cash, MD

Dysport vs Botox

The three currently popular neuromodulators ( muscle action attenuators) Botox, Dysport and xeomin all use the same active ingredient in slighlty different formulations. They are all safe but have slight differences In onset and duration. Seek an experienced injector and rely on his /her recommendation.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport Compared to Botox

Dysport and Botox are  very similar products that are both commonly used to reduce wrinkles caused by muscles. Overall they are both safe in the hands of experienced providers.  Dysport in general has an earlier onset of action and may last longer as compared to Botox.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Dysport versus Botox?

There are several brands of injectable neuromodulators (or neurotoxins) which are very effective. FDA- approved choices in the USA include Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin.   They all work well in the hands of skilled injectors.  And like many things, sometimes less is "more"!  

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport is as good as Botox

I use dysport on myself and like it better than botox.  They both work well with the right injector.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Dysport, Botox, & Xeomin Are Neuromodulators (Work On Muscles), Not Fillers

In the U.S., there are currently three FDA-approved neuromodulators, i.e. injectables intended to soften the overactivity of the muscles of facial expression for aesthetic purposes.  I have been injecting Botox for aesthetic purposes since 1991, so I have a great deal of experience with this product in my Upper East Side Manhattan practice, and injecting Dysport for well over ten years (It was regulatory agency approved for use in Israel, where I have a satellite facility, well over a decade ago), so I have extensive experience with this agent, as well.

My personal experience with each of these products echoes some recent medical articles that suggest that the activity of Dysport may start a couple of days sooner than Botox, be slightly stronger throughout its period of effect, and may last a month or two longer. For these reasons, Dysport has become my treatment choice for all first-time patients, however, since I have been treating patients with Botox for nearly a quarter of a century, if any of my long-time patients maintain an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude, I have no problems whatsoever in continuing them on Botox, which has proven itself a safe and very effective product through the years.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Dysport is not a filler, it is a neurotoxin/neuromodulator such as Botox

Dysport is a muscle relaxer that is injected to improve wrinkles.  It's active ingredient is exactly the same as Botox. There is an associated protein, just as with Botox, but they are slightly different.  Most people say the Dysport "kicks in" sooner than Botox.  It lasts maybe slightly longer. You should consider them interchangeable.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Is Dysport similar to Botox

Dysport, Botox and Xeomin are very similar. They are not fillers though, they are neuromodulators meaning they make the muscles in that area not contract as much and not create wrinkles. Despite the efforts by the other companies, Botox still owns the market in neuromodulators and it's just going to be that way for a long time I'm sure. They are all very similar in use/results though and most patients probably would never be able to tell a difference from one to the other if they had them from the same injector. It all has to do with marketing that you're much more aware of Botox than the others...

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."