Can breast augmentations affect breast feeding if I plan on having kids in the future? What is the average price?

Medicolegally...yes. In reality...probably not

Dear Ashtynp,
There is NEVER a 100% guarantee in surgery.  So, although it is not likely that breast augmentation will affect your ability to breast feed, it is possible.  Average prices vary geographically, so check with some surgeons in your area for an idea on pricing.  Good luck!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear Ashtynp,

Breast Feeding

Great Question! Breast feeding is possible after a breast augmentation. Implants can be placed above the muscle or under the muscle. Best placement for breastfeeding is under the muscle. Also helps if your surgeon does not go through your nipple for placement of implant, this way it will not affect any ducts in your breasts. Just remember only 7 out of 10 ladies will be able to breast feed (even without implants). Pricing will vary depending on surgeon and region where you live. We charge $5,900 for everything- post op fees, doctor fees, implants, anesthesia, and OR room.

Breast Feeding

Breast feeding risks with breast augmentation

Just like any other breast surgery, there may be risks associated with breast-feeding after breast augmentation.

However, problems with breast feeding is less of a concern for breast augmentation compared to a breast lift. In fact, most women who undergo breast augmentation surgery will be able to breast-feed.

That being said, there may be greater risks with the peri-areolar breast augmentation where the implant is placed through the region around the nipples. In breast augmentation through the inframammary incision, there will be very minimal manipulation or damage to the breast tissue, and as such, the milk ducts will not be harmed. If an appropriate evidence-based technique is used, there will be minimal effect on breastfeeding.

Often implants will also be placed under the muscle, preventing it from having contact with the breast tissue.

I urge you to have an in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon for more information. An in-person breast exam would provide a more accurate surgical plan.

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the questions.  Loss or diminished ability to breast-feed is a known risk of all types of breast surgery.  It may be difficult to quantify given that some women, without having undergone breast augmentation surgery, are not able to breast-feed.  Having said that, overall, the majority of patients who undergo breast augmentation surgery will be able to breast-feed.

When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider, type of breast implants… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find average costs of surgery listed on this website, and on individual plastic surgeon's websites as well

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. ***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways. Best wishes.

Breastfeeding after BA

Breast augmentation surgery should not affect the ability to breastfeed in the future, but it has been associated with low milk production in some patients since many patients who get breast augmentation had small breasts to begin with. Before going through with surgery, it is necessary to go over all your concerns with your board-certified plastic surgeon. Cost for breast augmentation surgery varies depending on the area you live. The best way to narrow down a price range is to call a couple nearby offices. Good luck!

Breastfeeding after BA

Hello dear, thanks for your questions,. There is no evidence of breast prostheses toaffect fertility, pregnancy, or breast-feeding. This is why is that you should choose carefully your plastic surgeon, to make this an excellent procedure in your body.
concerning the prices these various according to the country where want make you them.Best wishes!!

Ramon Morales, MD

Ramon Morales, MD

Breast feeding after BA

Thank you for your question. With any surgery, there are risks but if you have the implants placed under the muscle and through an incision under the breast, this will lower the chances of affecting your ability to breast feed, that is if you are able to to begin with as some women simply cannot breast feed. I would speak to your surgeon and let him know that this is a concern of yours so you can come up with the best option for you. As per cost goes, the Realself national average for a breast augmentation is between $6,000 and $7,000. I hope this helps!
Good luck in your endeavors! 
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

Breast feeding after BA

Good luck in your endeavors! 
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery

Thank you. Most Breast augmentation procedures do not affect breast feeding if performed in the usual fashion. All the best.

Breast augmentation and breast feeding

Most approaches to breast augmentation should not impact your ability to breast feed as the breast ducts in many approaches are not impacted.

Breast augmentation and breast feeding

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. If appropriate technique is used, there is no affect on breastfeeding.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.
Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Breast augmentation

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon