Waiting for Tip Plasty After Rhinoplasty?

I had Rhinoplasty (alar trimming and augmentation) on the upper part of my nose, and the nose tip was left as is. Now, I feel that the tip of my nose does not go so well with changes done. I'm now 1 month post-op and I don't think the tip will change as nothing was done to it in the first place. Must I also wait 6 months to 1 year to get tip plasty?

Doctor Answers 3


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If nothing was done to your tip, I think you could proceed with a tip-plasty 6 months after your original procedure. Healing and maturation in the two areas of the nose which were just changed progress faster because a complete rhinoplasty was not done. Thank you for sharing your experience. People who read this will understand the importance of achieving balance in rhinoplasty surgery.

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

Tip plasty after rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It probably is a good idea to wait until all the swelling subsides to allow the surgeon to perform an adequate tip plasty.  Too bad you didn't want to have it done while the other work was performed.

Time for Rhinoplasty revision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is no question you need to wait. The nose undergoes great change after surgery. What I tell my patients is that it takes 3 months for patients to lose 75% of their swelling. It takes another 9 months for the remaining 25%. This is especially true for the nasal tip. This area is the last area to lose its swelling.

The biggest reason not to pursue a revision this early is that you could end up chasing your tail. If you make changes now you will be doing so without the benefit of knowing what the final results of your initial surgery were!. So be patient and wait at least 10-12 months before considering revision. You will not regret it.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.