Rhinoplasty and Septoplasty: Is a Revision Always Necessary?

when you have rhinoplasty and septoplasty do you always need a revision, so what i mean is that can u have the operation once and never have an operation until the rest of your life, and your nose will look the same? or do people most definitely need to go back for a touch up etc?

Doctor Answers 15

10% chance of needing a touchup after rhinoplasty

There is an approximately 10% chance of needing a touchup after rhinoplasty.  90% of patients need no touchups after the first year.  It is important to find a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon since it usually takes approximately 1000 rhinoplasties before the surgeon feels quite comfortable with all of the nuances of the procedure.  

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 143 reviews

Revisional Rhinoplasty Rates

Most expert rhinoplasty surgeons will acknowledge a 5-10% revision rate. This implies that a) rhinoplasty is not 100% predictable even in the best hands, and b) you should be realistic about your expectations for surgery. Part of what drives revisions is surgical technique. Techniques that create a loss of structural cartilage support may create a nose that looks good early after surgery, but with time can produce problems related to tip cartilage buckling from scar contraction. Fortunately, modern rhinoplasty techniques emphasize preservation of structural integrity. Most revisions are necessary because of a result that is overall favorable, but  a minor problem in a particular area requires a touchup, like a small irregularity on the bridge of the nose for example. Planning ahead of time by your surgeon is critical to achieve the best result and you should get detailed information from your surgeon about what he/she is planning to make sure you are on the same page. All that being said, a properly planned and executed  rhinoplasty is not typically an operation that requires revision as you age.

Paul Angelchik, MD
Glendale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Rhinoplasty is ideally done only once.

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty are meant to be one-time operations and usually should not need to be repeated. That said, given its complexity and the variations between one patient and the next, it does have a relatively high revision rate compared with other cosmetic surgeries...about 10% or so. It's important to maximize your chances of having surgery once, so choose your surgeon carefully and review their before and after photos (and don't hesitate to ask if those are really his/her work! You'd be surprised to find out that it isn't always!).

All the best,


David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Revision Rhinoplasty

In the hands of experienced surgeons revisions are not common and are usually  minor. The nose will change throughout life due to the aging process, but very few patients choose to have additional surgery.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Revision Rhinoplasty


This depends on a few things. It is important to do your homework, and choose a highly skilled surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty surgery. This will ensure you have the best outcome possible, and will greatly minimize the chances that a revision will be necessary. Everyone heals differently from a rhinoplasty and/or septoplasty, and sometimes minor revision work may be necessary down the road in order to obtain the best result. This may be the case even if a highly skilled surgeon with a great deal of experience performs your surgery. If a surgeon who is not experienced performs your surgery and you obtain a less than ideal result, revision work would be necessary in order to obtain a more aesthetically pleasing result. In addition, structural defects caused by an overaggressive rhinoplasty may need to be corrected as well. Thank you, and I hope this helps answer your question.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Revision Rhinoplasty not common

Of course, the vast majority of Rhinoplasty patients only have 1 Rhinoplasty whether the septum is operated on at the same time or not.  Revision Rhinoplasty rates run about 10% for all reasons across the board IMHO.  I would guess that some surgeons have higher revision rates than others.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 24 reviews


Many patients are satisfied with their results after a rhinoplasty, but I will say even in the best of hands the revison rate is somewhere between 5-15%.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Tough Up Surgery Following Rhinoplasty

Great question.  Any busy rhinoplasty surgeon will have a revison or touch up rate of between 5 and 10%.  Generally speaking, a touch up procedure is indicated when the surgical outcome has not completely met the patients and/or surgeons expectations.  Fortunately, this usually means taking down a bit more hump or creating a bit more tip definition, for example.  More of a fine tuning than a correction.

Andrew B. Denton, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 69 reviews

Revision rhinopasty rates vary with the skill of the surgeon.

Most experienced rhinoplasty surgeons have revision rates of less than 5 percent. The remaining 95 percent need no further surgery. Tha revision should be quite minor!

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Revision rate is low

In general rhinoplasty revision rate is low at 10-15%. The results are long lasting. Some people do need touch ups. You need to understand that during the consultation. Also you need to ask your plastic surgeon about the cost if revision is needed.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.