Rhinoplasty Questions

Hello Everyone, I've had Rhinoplasty surgery performed a year and a half ago and I find it odd that my nose is still dry and swollen, the tip is enormous and really hard to the touch. I'm disappointed because my nose is constantly like this , and I don't get to see the results! When it's moisturised or let's say ''humid'', it seems as the bridge and the tip are all just thinning down and shaping. But that rarely happens. What do you have to say about this? Would there be some specific causes?

Swollen Nose after Rhinoplasty

It's very unusual to have persistent swelling and firmness of the nose 18 months following rhinoplasty. It is true that firmness and swelling are quite common in the initial months following surgery. This is explained by a host of factors including the use of cartilage grafts, soft tissue swelling, and the body's natural tendency to form sub-dermal fibrosis (scar tissue). Usually by 3-6 months the nose is smaller and feels softer and more natural as inflammation resolves and scar tissue is "remodeled".  After a year, the nose is usually soft and mobile and has reached something close to its final size and shape.

If a nose is still "swollen" after 18 months, it is often due to thick and inelastic skin that fails to conform to the underlying "framework" (cartilage and bone).  Sometimes there is an "excess" of skin when there has been a dramatic reduction in nasal size. In selected cases, there may also be excessive sub-dermal fibrosis (scar tissue) that will benefit from the injection of steroid or a combination of steroid and an anti-metabolite such as 5-flourouracil (5FU).  Hope this helps

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Questions

The swelling could be related to thickened repair tissue-fibrosis- in which case steroid injections eg triamcinolone 10% may be helpful even at this stage.  The swelling may also be related to grafts used with your surgery.  You should try discussing this further with your surgeon. 

J. Andrew Bartlett, MD, FRCS
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose still swollen and hard 18 months after Rhinoplasty

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and by principles, the nose is not fully healed after Rhinoplasty as long as fluctuations in nasal swelling still occur.  However, in your case, I suspect some element of airborne or even food allergies that are contributing to the prolonged nasal swelling. 

I would agree that your nose was healed or that cartilage grafts and scar tissue made your nose hard and wide...except that at some occassions your nose appears less swollen and thin.  It is at this thin state that I believe the true nasal shape resides.  Seek evaluation first with an allergist to rule this out.  You, of course should also ask your Rhinoplasty surgeon for advice and input.

Rhinoplasty and clet lip and palate

It is a bit unusual for the nose to be dry and hard at a year and a half.  The firmness can be from grafts or struts that were used to maintain tip projection but I could not be sure without an op report or at least an exam. As for dryness, this just may be the quality of your skin.