Should I Go to an ENT Doctor for Rhinoplasty Revision Advice?

I went to a plastic surgeon in Norwalk, CT and after the second surgery, I am still unhappy with one side of my nose which dips in. Do you think it is smart to go to an ENT for clinical opinion on what to do next with my nose?

Doctor Answers 7

It might be a place to start

ENT doctors or otolaryngologists are usually well trained in nasal anatomy, and cosmetic and functional nasal surgery. They might be better in your case than general plastic surgeons who usually concentrate on cosmetic surgery of the body. However, since you had a couple of surgeries already, and each time it is usually more difficult to achieve the desired result, I would recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon. Facial plastic surgeons are ENT doctors who undergo additional training in aesthetic and reconstructive surgery of the face. You should find one with an extensive experience in revision rhinoplasty.

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Revision rhinoplasty specialist is best for third-time redo.

Whether the surgeon has ENT training, plastic surgical training, or both, an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or ENT who has a busy practice in revision rhinoplasty is the specialist you should seek.

Mark Constantian, MD in Nashua, NH is a nationally-respected revision rhinoplasty expert in your area. He is not only skilled, but honest and ethical. You would be well-served to see him for a consultation. Best wishes.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 255 reviews

Revision Rhinoplasty With An ENT

When seeking a revision rhinoplasty, a surgeon with experience in revision rhinoplasty is the best choice.  Both facial plastic surgeons and general plastic surgeons may be qualified to perform this operation depending on their experience, pedigree, and consistency in results.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 166 reviews

Choosing the Best Rhinoplasty Surgeon

Rhinoplasty is said to be the most difficult operation in cosmetic surgery. Whether your potential surgeon is ENT-trained or Plastic Surgery-trained is less important than the physcian's experience.

Choose an surgeon who specializes in nasal surgery. Not all ENTs or Plastic Surgeons routinely perform rhinoplasty. It is important to find one who does. Rhinoplasty takes considerable experience to get predictable results. Revision rhinoplasty requires even more experience and expertise.

Finally, look for a qualified surgeon who is Board Certified in either Otolaryngology (ENT) or Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery and who has experience in correcting both the functional and the cosmetic aspects of rhinoplasty.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 147 reviews

You want a rhinoplasty expert

As mentioned by the other doctors, you need a doctor now who is a rhinoplasty expert, not just someone who does an occasional rhinoplasty. Revisionary rhinoplasty is more difficult than the first time around so you need someone, even if you need to travel to another city, who qualifies as an expert. There are Plastic Surgeons and Facial Plastic Surgeons (ENT) who fit the bill. So don't choose based on basic training, choose on expertise and experience.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 67 reviews

You need to see a physician experienced in doing rhinoplasties.

It sounds as if you are not satisfied after two rhinoplasties. You need to see a physician who is experienced in doing these difficult procedures. Also, you must allow total healing after the second surgery , which can be as long as two years. The speciality of the surgeon is less important that their experience. If an ENT guy does not do nose jobs then they are worthless, it's the same as going to see a plastic surgeon who only does breasts. Search out an experienced Rhinoplastic surgeon and talk to them. But to get the best answers, have photos of yourself before both surgeries and a copy of the operative reports.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Revision Rhinoplasty

Hi Vintage,

After two rhinoplasty procedures you should seek an expert in revision rhinoplasty. Whether the surgeon is an ENT, Facial Plastic, or General Plastic surgeon, the surgeon you choose should have experience with revision surgery. There are excellent nasal surgeons in all three specialties.

You will likely benefit from an external approach (open) rhinoplasty where cartilage grafts are used to balance the asymmetry. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.