Best Surgeon to See for Nose Hump and Breathing Problem?

I have both functional as well as cosmetic problem. I have a nose hump, spur, and breathing problem. Which surgeon is best for me to see, a plastic surgeon or an ENT surgeon?

Doctor Answers 6

Board certified facial plastic surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The best surgeon to perform both functional and cosmetic nasal surgery is a board-certified facial plastic surgeon. A board-certified facial plastic surgeon is also board-certified in otolaryngology, head and neck surgery. A surgeon with these qualifications is well-versed on both the internal functional component of the nose as well as the cosmetic portion of the rhinoplasty.

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

Agree totally with Dr Persky

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

With all deference to my colleague Dr. Beraka, I would love to see any hard statistics that he can produce on which specialty performs more Rhinoplasties in New York. In the United States there is absolutely no question or argument that the vast majority of Rhinoplasties and Septoplasties are performed by Facial Plastic Surgeons with primary training in Otolaryngology. That in no way however implies that one specialty is superior to another and I agree with my friend Dr Persky that the Surgeon is more important than the specialty. In the end it comes down to experience, judgement, and skill most likely in that order!

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Who best to do your Rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You want a surgeon who specializes in Rhinoplasty. This is usually a facial plastic surgeon, and ENT specialist who specializes in plastic and reconstructive surgery of the face. However, some general plastic surgeons also specialize. The revision rate for such surgery is probably about 10% so make sure you see someone who does a lot of these procedures, no matter what the label.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

You might also like...

The individual surgeon matters much more than the specialty.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Both a plastic surgeon and an ENT surgeon trained in "facial plastic surgery" can do a rhinoplasty and work on your breathing.

But of course talent and experience vary widely. Try to find someone who does a lot of noses, and look at a lot of before and after pictures. If you are unhappy at the end, it will more likely be because you don't like the way your nose looks.

In Manhattan, most noses are done by plastic surgeons.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty; Best Surgeon to See for Nose Hump and Breathing Problems

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Mukesh,

Your question is very similar to a previously answered inquiry. Here is that answer:

Way to stir up the old specialty "wars".

ENT, Facial Plastic, and General Plastic Surgeons all perform septorhinoplasty. The surgical procedure is not a commodity, but an operation that combines the skill, experience, training, creativity, and aesthetic sense of beauty of the surgeon to achieve an attractive (cosmetic) as well as an excellent breathing (functional) result.

There are surgeons of all of the above cited specialities that perform the operation very well, and there are surgeons who do not. It is important to choose your rhinoplasty surgeon carefully. Ask questions, speak to previous patients, take your time.

The surgeon is more important than the speciality.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Recommend seeing a nasal specialist

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Addressing functional and cosmetic issues is important in EVERY Rhinoplasty procedure. Even in purely cosmetic cases, the functional nature should be kept in mind in order to prevent any breathing issues. It is ideal to see a surgeon who is a specialist in noses and understands both of these issues.

There are plastic surgeons who dedicate their practice to Rhinoplasty. In addition, there is a sub-specialty of ENT called Facial Plastic Surgery. A board certified facial plastic surgeon has specialized training in both plastic surgery of the face and ENT.

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 71 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.