Solutions for Broken Nose?

I had a Rhinoplasty about 8 years ago and loved the results, as well as the physician who performed it. About two years ago I fell on my nose, and now have a small bump that is only noticeable from the right side of my profile.

My operating physician does not want to perform another surgery, and has injected a small amount of silicone 1000 which he assures me is safe, despite all that I have read. He claims it is medical grade and that he has used it for over thirty years. He wants to inject more, in that I have not yet achieved my desired result.

Other doctors have told me that silicone is risky, but all other fillers are only temporary and are quite expensive. Should I continue with the silicone treatments, get another Rhinoplasty, or is there long-lasting filler I can use?

Doctor Answers 4

Solutions for a Broken Nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Seek advice from a well qualified rhinoplasty surgeon as a second opinion.  Be sure that you are aware of the risks and benefits of each procedure performed on the nose.

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 177 reviews

Silicone Injections in the Nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are well-trained physicians who inject pure medical grade silicone in the skin even though it is not approved by the FDA. However, I do share your concerns. Get a second opinion before continuing with the silicone treatments. Find out how difficult it would be to have surgical correction. Consider all your alternatives.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Consider Radiesse injections

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Silicone 1,000 should not be used in the nose since it is not FDA-approved. Consideration for Radiesse injections can be performed if the patient does not wish to have a reduction of the nasal fracture with cartilage grafting.

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 157 reviews

If you are worried, get a second opinion.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you are in doubt or worried, get a second opinion from a well qualified rhinoplastic surgeon.

As in all forms of medicine, there is more than one way to skin a cat. Seek another opinion if you are in doubt.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.