Rhinoplasty or Alarplasty? (photo)

I would like to know what sort of rhinoplasty do I have to do to correct my crooked alars/nose tip (refer to pictures). Will alarplasty be sufficient to correct it or do I need to undergo a tip plasty? I would prefer a method of which I do not need any silicone however if it is the only way, then I guess I'll go with it. I do not want to adjust the height, I just want to have a more symmetrical & slender nose tip.

Doctor Answers 4

What type of rhinolasty.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
First of all, don't let anyone put silicone in your nose. Most US board certified plastic surgeons will recommend using your own cartilage. Second, your tip can be refined if it bothers you. Meet with some plastic suregons in your area and see what they say for your specific needs, a consult is always the best way to start your journey.

Asian Rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Everyone has some degree of asymmetry in their faces.  The crooked alars that you refer to can be corrected with or without a tipplasty.  If you desire tip work, this can also be done at the same time.  In general, I do not recommend silicone implants in your nose as this can lead to many problems.  Please consult with your board certified specialist to obtain the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Asian rhinoplasty-implants or your own cartilage.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Asian rhinoplasty-implants or your own cartilage is a common question. For more than 35 years of doing Asian noses I always use cartilage! The chance of infection is almost zero.

Your tip and ala can be refined and narrowed without creating an artificial look is you have the surgery done by a surgeon who does noses you like.

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Rhinoplasty or Alarplasty?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Visit a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon in your area, preferably one specialized in Asian anatomy.  Physicians with updated technology should be able to morph your photo on a tablet right in front of you.  During this time, you will be educated on different treatment options, whether it be alarplasty or another. Discuss with the Physician which one will suit altering the tip of your nose best. My advice to you, do not seek out anyone willing to put silicone in there.  There are far better choices. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 127 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.