Torn labia minora during child birth?

My inner labia tore while giving birth, and they stitched it up but ive noticed my stitches go completely through my labia as if the stitches were done like when sewing clothing , not just through a little bit of skin like most are done . Is this normal ?

Photo would help

Sorry to hear of your problem .  You would benefit by seeing a labiaplasty specialist and one who actually fixes botched labia surgical patients.  I realize you are not a botched surgery but a tear  is essentially the closest thing to botched surgical results

Candidate for a labiaplasty

There is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Procedure for Labia Minora

Women have a wide range of normal color, texture, size and asymmetries of their genitalia. This is true of the Vulva and all of its parts, the same as other parts of the body.The Barbie Doll procedure reduces much of the Labia Minora so that it is not visible beyond the Labia Majora. There is no one right solution for all patients, but there is a solution for every woman. The outcome of a Labiaplasty is a more youthful appearance, ability to wear all types of clothing without The Barbie Doll procedure is one that you could discuss with a surgeon in consultation and determine the best options to help reach your desired results. I would recommend that you make sure all stitches have closed up and healed from your childbirth before scheduling a surgery, while childbirth is definitely one event that always has a tendency to affect this area for women. Best of luck to you.

Sutures for repairing torn labia

Hello New Mom,Sorry to hear about your difficult delivery resulting in a torn labia. The choice of sutures and technique varies amongst surgeons, but you have to keep in mind that yours was repaired by an obstetrician likely without any cosmetic training. This isn't an error in his/her part since the goal at the time was to repair your tear, it wasn't to recreate your prior aesthetic and normal anatomy. You should allow yourself to heal. You'll be surprised at how well the vagina/vulva heals. If you're not happy in the end then you should seek out an experienced cosmetic vaginal surgeon to repair this for optimal results.See link below for advice on choosing the best surgeon for you and to view examples of obstetrical injury repairs in the photo gallery. Best of luck,

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Torn labia minora during child birth

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your labial tear.  Without photographs it is difficult to offer definite recommendations but suturing of tissues together typically requires a multilayer suture closure to achieve the nicest repair.  Sutures do not typically go all the way through the labia for repair.  Hope this helps.

Labiaplasty: Torn Labia After Child Birth

The labia minora and vagina can tear during a vaginal delivery.  Depending on the size and type of stitches as well as the technique used in repairing the tears of the labia, the outcome may not be personally satisfying.  It is difficult to assess your condition without photographs or a physical examination. I would recommend  evaluation by a cosmetic genital surgeon. As a cosmetic and reconstructive urologist located in Ohio, I would be glad to evaluate your condition and provide recommendations.

Best of luck.    

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist - Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Childbirth suturing is not very elegant and cosmetic issues are usually not top of mind at the time of delivery

The mindset of many physicians dealing with childbirth lacerations is to simply stop the areas from bleeding. If quickly placed meatball type sutures do the job, they usually consider it mission accomplished. If you have long term dissatisfaction with the appearance after you heal, then schedule a consultation with a labiaplasty expert.

Hard to tell without PIC

First congrats on having a baby :)  always amazing.

If you feel that the healing or sutures were not placed correctly then I would seek a second opinion from a cosmetic surgeon who does this on a regular basis.  This is usually easily corrected with in an office revision or repair.

Best of luck

Labiaplasty and vaginal tear repair after childbirth

Sometimes during vaginal childbirth the outer vaginal tissue and/ or inner labia minora can tear, especially near the bottom. If not stitched up, stitched quickly or improperly, or if it is stitched and then falls apart (dehisces), you may need a revision of that area for aesthetic appearance and for potential tightening of the area depending upon the area. Labiaplasty and episiotomy revision can often accomplish this once the baby is older and your tissues have healed well and shrunken. You would want to consult with and go to a plastic surgeon or ob/gyn who does these procedures!