Will that high upper pole/edge go down with time? (photos)

I had breast augmentation 3 weeks ago, 250 cc left and 300 cc in right - round moderate plus silicon submuscular. I wear post operative bra with attached bandeau day and night. My concerns are that my breast will stay like that, (sorry for my poor English) with this high edge. It looks like my breasts hangs off the implants. I know after augmentation breasts will change a lot, but will that high pole improve with time when the implants drops?

Breast augmentation 3 weeks post-op

Thank you for your question, photo, and thorough description. Yes, it is normal for your breasts to sit oddly and feel stiff for the first few weeks. If you are concerned, you can speak to your plastic surgeon for more information and tips for healing. 

Breast augmentation

Yes, considering how early it is after your surgery I suspect that your implants will continue to come down nicely. It takes 3-4 months to really see the final shape after breast augmentation. I would talk to your plastic surgeon about this and follow their instructions with regards to bras and massage.Good luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post op

you for the question. You are still in
the post operation recovery stage.  It usually takes about 8-12
weeks for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for the implants to fully
settle so best give it more time. It would always be best to visit
your board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full assessment for your
concerns. Best of luck. Dr. Michael
in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess
your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation

Your breasts will settle into position over the next 3 to 6 months. Continue to follow your surgeons instructions and contact him or her with any concerns. Best of luck and congratulations on your surgery!

Bra is excellent

Your breasts will keep falling into shape over the next weeks/months.  The post operative brad with bandeau will help speed up reduction of upper pole fullness. 

Way too early to tell

Thank you for your photo and question.

Your concern is one that is very frequently addressed. The implants will settle and fill out the lower pole of the breasts over the next 3 to 6 months.

Keep hanging in there and congratulations on your recent surgery.

- Dr. Bryson Richards

Upper Pole Settling

I know it is hard to be patient and wait to see how the implants settle. But it sounds like you know changes will come. The implants will settle but it can take several months. It can also be disconcerting if one implant settles before the other. Breast massage can help encourage the settling process and soften that upper pole edge you are seeing. 
If after the implants settle you still feel your breast is hanging below the implant, that would indicate you need a breast lift. Give the implants some more time and then talk with your surgeon about their positioning.

God Luck!

J. Dayne Petersen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Will that high upper pole/edge go down with time?

Thank you for your question. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, advice, predictions, and/or meaningful reassurance.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward may assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants). The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, size of breast implant utilized, and concerns such as pre-existing breast asymmetry.

Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.
Sometimes, one or both breasts implants do not settle as planned and revisionary breast surgery becomes necessary to improve the outcome. On other occasions, if the long-term breast asymmetry is mild ( understanding that absolute symmetry is very rarely achieved), patients will need to decide whether proceeding with revisionary breast surgery is worth the potential downsides associated with additional surgery.
Again, best to follow your plastic surgeon for more specifics. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.