I Need Revision Rhinoplasty For Too Much Cartilage Removal?

Due to bad rhinoplasty I had too much cartilage removed. Result is poly beak tip and mild inverted v. I want revision rhinoplasty, is cloning some cartilage to add to the nose a viable option? I do not want to harvest, have read bad things about synthetic material and am afraid of the risks of donor cartilage (rejection, infection). Alsoin the part were cartilage was removed the skin is red still even though it has been 8 years, can I do something to remedy? are rebuilt septums prone to injury?

Doctor Answers 2

Revision rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 Revision rhinoplasty can certainly address the poly-beak deformity and the inverted V. The inverted V is best treated with osteotomies and bilateral spreader grafts. Cloning of cartilage has not been performed to date.   We try to use the patient's own cartilage for grafting purposes from the nose or the ear to reconstruct the nose.  Patient's own cartilage grafts  work very well in the nose we try to avoid synthetic implants in this type of  situation. Any redness in the skin of the nose can be best  addressed with intense pulse light therapy by a dermatologist

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

Revision Rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It sounds like there is a lot going on.  The best thing is to have a proper evaluation of the inside and outside of your nose to determine what needs to be done to achieve the results you are looking for.  Generally speaking, I prefer using cartilage from your own body instead of foreign material to avoid some of the complications you mention such as migration, extrusion, rejection, etc.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can best assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.