I recently had an open rhinoplasty (about 4 weeks ago) to remove my dorsal hump. However, the surgery has proven so far to be ineffective. Because a great deal of the swelling has subsided, I can now see my hump quite defined (maybe even more so than pre-op). In your medical opinion, do you believe that removing such a hump is too difficult and therefore I should try a non-surgical rhinoplasty? If any more additional information is needed, I will be happy to provide it on request.
Should I Get a Revision Rhinoplasty or Opt for a Non-surgical Method? (photo)
Doctor Answers 9
Rhinoplasty and result
At four weeks after surgery it is too early to see the final result after a rhinoplasty,. Give it time to settle down. Good luck.
Best Treatment for Residual Dorsal Hump One Month After Open Rhinoplasty
At this point I would recommend waiting, allowing for the swelling of your open approach rhinoplasty to resolve. An excellent rhinoplasty surgeon will even consider revision rhinoplasty for at least 6 to 12 months. If after another month or so you are concerned about your dorsal profile, then I would recommend a hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane to camouflage the bump. That is only if you are willing to add to your dorsal profile. We like to show our patients what their nose will look like after filler by using computer imaging prior to treatment. Good luck and be well.
Should I Get a Revision Rhinoplasty or Opt for a Non-surgical Method?
From the photo provided, there appears to be a slight residual dorsal hump but at 1 month post Rhinoplasty it can't be determined if this is swelling, cartilage or bone. Since you have to wait a minimum of 6 months before you could have a Revision Rhinoplasty and injecting filler into the nasal tissues is not adviseable until then....IMHO, you should just wait and see what the nose looks like at 6 months.
You might also like...
Healing takes time
Thank you for your photos. Healing after rhinoplasty is a long process that takes about a year to see the final result you will have. Be patient with your healing. It is best not to perform surgery nor any injections into the nose during the months after surgery. I hope this helps.
Revision for a hump
I think that you should wait for the normal course of healing to occur. For a rhinoplasty, this can up to 1 year. Only after that time, can you have a revision if necessary.
Should I Get a Revision Rhinoplasty or Opt for a Non-surgical Metho
I have issues with this presentation and your understanding of surgery. Your surgeon should have pre operatively informed you the longer healing time interval with any rhinoplasty, especially the open techniques. In asking your questions you NEED to post a before photo so we can compare the physical/surgical issues. Thus allow at least 4 to 6 months of healing before considering any additional interventions, whether surgery or fillers.
- That area of the nose has the thinnest skin
- That means that even the smallest bit of swelling will look like a bump
- Can you push that skin down?
- If it remains, you should re-evaluate the nose and if it is just the bump that is present, you can fix that non-surgically
Revision Rhinoplasty or Non-Surgical treatment
4 Weeks after surgery is still an inadequate amount of time upon which to base an opinion about the result. You will need to wait at least six months to make a final determination. However, assuming nothing changes then adding a filler in the depression below the bump can adequately camouflage it and eliminates the need for surgery. If you are seeking a permanent solution approach your surgeon with your concern. Most surgeons want happy patients and will be willing to perform touch ups at reduced cost to the patient. Each surgeon is different in this regard but it is worth it to ask. If you have lost confidence in your surgeon get several evaluations from surgeons who do a lot of nasal work. See what they would suggest. You could go either route to get the final result you want. Best of Luck Dr Harrell
Open Rhinoplasty at 4 Weeks
After an open rhinoplasty for hump resection, you should wait at least 6 months before considering a revision. It is not unreasonable to revise this if there is a residual hump. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA