Do I Need a Revision Due to Lateral Displacement? (photo)

I'm almost 2 months post op. My implants aren't dropping much and they are so oddly shifted under my arms that I cant even wear a normal top. I walk around in a bulky sweatshirt to hide the distortion. They have been this way since day one of my surgery and my surgeon never mentioned lateral displacement so i didn't even know it existed until I did some research. I'm desperate for help.

Implant malposition

It's not possible to tell where your implants truly are with arms in the air.  As you know, that makes them look higher.  It's early, hang in there.  The most likely thing is that they will drop.  As far as them falling out laterally, that's a different problem.  If they displace too far laterally (especially when laying down) then that won't improve in time.  Thanks for the photo, it gets you much more substantial evaluations.  Give this time and be patient, you'd be surprised how things settle and nestle in with more time.  Someone may make a nice comment about your new look and that's all it takes for you to start to accept your result.  Hope all works out ok for you.

Implant malposition

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Revision Surgery for Lateral Displacement?

Thank you for the question and picture.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to give you good advice without direct examination. Furthermore, you are only 2 months out of surgery;  it is much too early to evaluate the final breast implant position and outcome of your surgery. I would suggest waiting at least 4 additional months,  if not longer before you “judge” the final results of surgery.

In the meantime, I would suggest you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Thank you for the question and picture.

Do You Need a Revision Due to Lateral Displacement

During breast implant surgery a #pocket is created carefully to maintain certain folds on the sides and bottom of the breast. Occasionally, the space for the breast implant becomes too large on the #side of the chest or the tissue stretches and the implants fall too much to the side. This is most easily seen when the patient is lying on her back. At times, the implants can move towards the patient’s armpit.

Treatment will generally require closing the space with a procedure called a #capsulorrhaphy. In this case, the capsule is closed off internally much as we do when we are trying to raise the breast fold. The capsule is closed with sutures and at times Acellular Dermis Matrix (#ADM) or other soft tissue substitutes would be used to further support this correction.

However, per your photos and the stage of your healing, it is not easy to determine if this, in fact, is a matter of concern. It is still quite early into your healing and it's not uncommon for one breast to swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural.

Your #healing will continue for 2-3 months following your #Augmentation #Mastopexy procedure up to one year see your final result. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal and scars will also be changing.

Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. #Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit.
You must have patience, but if there are any causes of concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff. 

Revision?

The most common reason for implants that are high and lateral is incomplete release of the pec major muscle inferioromedially. This is much more common with combined augmentation and mastopexy as the surgeon works to preserve circulation with 2 competing procedures. The published revision rate is far higher than with either procedure alone.  

It would be easier to evaluate your implant position with your arms down but in this photo, they do look malpositioned.  Typically implants are "in position" by now but this is something you need to discuss with your surgeon since only he knows your pre-op appearance as well as the goals and limitations you discussed. The good news is that  if the pocket is just under dissected inferomedially, this type of revision has a very high rate of success with an excellent outcome.

Revision?

Two months post lift and augmentation

With your arms up in the air, it is difficult to say.  It is still early and the implants and skin may settle/soften. I would not rush into anything just yet.

Two months post lift and augmentation

Unfortunately, you probably will need a revision breast augmentation.

Hi.

Of course, don't do anything for another four months, and be optimistic.  But your implant pockets are too high and I really doubt they will come down on their own.  That's more of a problem than the lateral displacement.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Hi.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Need Revision 2 Months After Breast Augmentation?

Based on your information, it is too early to make any recommendations. Give it at least 6 months to see how things look.