Possible to Reverse a Clitoral Hood Reduction?

I had a labia reduction and a clitoral hood reduction. After two years, it still feels bent and out of place. I do not get much enjoyment as I used to before surgery. And because the hood is no longer there, it more so gets irritated and inflamed. Do you think the doctor will and would be able to move it higher up, straighten it back out, and get skin to cover it? Or am I out of luck? This is probably extremely risky. I should have never gotten surgery, regardless of how uncomfortable I used to be with it.

Doctor Answers 4

Clitoral hood reduction and revision

Our office specializes in labiaplasty surgery, and on rarer occasions labiaplasty revision and reconstruction.  Both of these treatments can restore your normal contour to the labia and clitoral hood.

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

Talk to your surgeon....

This is not a problem I have seen in my patients fortunately. You need to see your surgeon to have the area examined. This is one of the reasons I recommend limited reductions. It is possible that something could be done as long as too much of the hood has not been removed.

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Clitoral hood reduction gone awry.

Your concerns should be reported to the original surgeon. I perform this procedure and would want to know if my patients were experiencing the complaints you are reporting. I am a little confused when you say: "move it higher up". The hood reduction has already moved it up. A correction would actually involve moving it down. Options do exist and include the possibility of skin grafting but this is somewhat agressive treatment. Gently consistent traction on the remaining hood can produce some laxity in the tissue. Dr. Red Alinsod in Laguna Beach specializes in these types of procedures an you may want to see him for a second opinion.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 81 reviews

Aggressive Clitoral Hood Reduction

I am sorry that you had such an aggressive hood reduction, that it opened your clitorus to constant irritation and inflammation.  This problem obviously needs to be corrected.  One of the responders has suggested a surgeon in your area.  Allow me to add to that list.  Dr. Gary Alter, MD of Beverly Hills probably has more experience in this area than any other surgeon.  Gary is both a board-certified plastic surgeon and a board-certified urologist.  I believe it would be totally appropriate to contact Dr. Alter.


I am certain that creation of some protective covering for your clitorus is a reasonable surgical possibility.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.