Possible to Reverse Asian Eyelid Surgery?

If the eyelid creases are too high, can it be lowered? The doctor may have taken a lot of skin and fat tissue. Can it be repaired with fat grafting?

Doctor Answers 3

Reversing Asian Blepharoplasty and double eyelid crease is difficult but can be done

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You can reverse Asian Blepharoplasty and double eyelid crease formation.  You are correct that fat injections can be a part of this. But this all depends.  If there is too much skin taken, a skin graft could be needed and the cosmetic outcome could be less favorable in this situation.  Lowering the crease requires elevating the scar and then resetting the crease to a lower height, and then requires fat grafting to the area above the new crease or a tissue graft.  You need experience in this though and there is a learning curve based on my experience.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reversing Asian eyelid surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is somewhat possible to reverse the Asian eyelid surgery by revision surgery to lower the creases. Sutures need to be placed at the level of the tarsal crease to create the fold underneath the skin. Small fat grafts to the orbital area could probably be attempted with only moderate success. 

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

Asian eye lid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Reversing the asian eye lid may not be possible. Muscle is taken out, and sutures are used between the skin and the tarsal plate to create the new fold. This will create a scar simulating the caucasian fold.The standard for most plastic surgeos now is the fold to be no higher than 9 mm. Usually between 6-9 mm

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.