Can I return back to work within a week of getting a breast lift?

I am trying to schedule a breast lift before the summer. I work in an office, which is light work and also go to school. Would it be safe to get my breast done on spring break and return back to work and school within a week? I am pretty tolerable with pain, just concerned about being uncomfortable especially in class.

Return to Light Work within a Week

After returning home immediately in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines, sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present is removed within 1-2 weeks. Light activities such as office work may be started in 7-10 days, but be careful of any heavy lifitng

A week is a reasonable amount of time off from a sedentary job.

Los Angeles, California

Time off from work

I would say that a week is a reasonable amount of time to take off after a breast lift surgery.  You will still be sore and should watch lifting anything heavy, but I think you will be fine to return to work in an office setting and to school.  Good luck.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Back to work guidelines do vary from surgeon to surgeon, but I usually recommend taking at least one full week off of work after breast lift surgery. It is important that you discuss your back to work plans with your surgeon so that he or she is able to tailor a plan of care for you accordingly.

Recovery

Dear treya,
    Most patients take off one week and do quite well.  If you are only undergoing a breast lift without implants even more so.  The breast lift itself is quite easy to recover from.  The use of the implant is the more difficult part, but even then, one week is sufficient.  Here in Miami, particularly in my practice,  it is rare for women to undergo breast lift alone without the use of implants.  Upper pole fullness cannot be achieved reliable without the use of an implant.
Sincerely,
Ary Krau MD FACS

Ary Krau, MD, FACS

Downtime for breast lift surgery?

There should be no problem in returning to office work one week after a breast lift, you just want to avoid lifting more than about 5-10 pounds for six weeks.

Recovery after breast lift

For most patients after breast lift, a week out of work and/or school is generally enough time. Your plastic surgeon can discuss the specifics of recovery after breast lift. 

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

There are many different things that determine when patients are able to go back to normal activities after this procedure. For some, a week is enough time but for others it takes longer. Talk with your plastic surgeon to discuss the type of procedure you are looking to have done as well as your pain tolerance.

Recovery from breast lift surgery

The recovery from breast lift surgery depends quite a bit upon what type of activities your are trying to return to. If your office work is mostly sitting at a desk, pushing paper, answering phones, working on a computer, and sitting through meetings....you would most likely be able to return to your job about 5-7 days after surgery. This, of course, assumes that you heal normally and without complications. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after a Breast Lift

There are many variations of a breast lift and, to some degree, recovery varies among them. Recovery also seems to be very patient specific where some get and and go the next day and some are hesitant to get back to full activity months later. The most important opinion in this case is likely yours. If you look, very honestly, at your own tendencies towards activity and pain tolerance, and you find that you are not slowed down very often, return to work at a job that does not require a lot of pushing, pulling or lifting may very well be possible at a week.  It is certainly in your best interest to ask your surgeon his or her feelings on the matter as, like I noted above, technique matters too. 
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon