Resuts Initially Good, but Now Seem to Have Reversed...

I had vaser liposuction nine days ago on my abdomen to remove a small, stubborn pot belly. Around days four to seven, I could see great results - my stomach was completely flat and I was delighted, although it was hard. However, as of yesterday the pot belly has gradually returned, and I look almost the exact same as before! The skin is soft again. I'm distraught - someone please tell me why this happened and if it will go away...?

Delayed Swelling After Vaser Liposuction

Swelling after #Vaser liposuction is not uncommon. Gentle #walking may increase circulation and help to alleviate swelling. But you must not strain or push yourself. Also, if you were provided a post-procedure #garment, be sure you are wearing it until prescribed otherwise by your doctor. The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Many patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after procedures, as directed by their doctor; some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.

The final results of the procedure are typically most noticeable 2-4 months following #Vaser. So, you must have patience. The swelling will gradually diminish while the contours of the treated area(s) can continue to improve up to one year post procedure; becoming more apparent in appearance. If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Post-VASER fullness

It is likely that you have tissue swelling (edema) or a fluid collection (seroma) both of which are very common with Liposuction and especially with VASER. In my practice, patients are instructed to wear their first stage compression guarment 23 hrs/day for the first 7-10 days and the second stage guarment for the following 6-8 weeks. We see our patients for post-lipo care treatments daily for the first week and closely manage swelling and seromas. If necessary, I start the patient on diuretic or corticosteroids for tissue swelling post-op and evaluate for seromas by clinical exam and ultrasound. I find that seromas are very common with VASER liposelection due to heat  generated (even though I use a very low setting). Usually with a return of fullness as in this case, I suspect a fluid collection such as seroma or hematoma and attempt to drain it by needle aspiration (ultrasound-guided if deep). In my experience, if a seroma is not managed in the early stages, it may further encapsulate and become more proteinacious and firm causing visible and palpable fullness which may require more aggresive management in the furture. I recommend evaluation by your surgeon.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-VASER fullness

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Vaser liposuction

I advise my patients to wear their surgical garment 24 hours a day for 4 weeks and at night for the 5th week. Swelling is still present. Give yourself 4-6 months before assessing any results. Best of luck!

Vaser liposuction