Do You Get Better Results when You Have More Fat in You than when You Almost Have Your Ideal Weight in Liposuction?

Hi km 20 years old km 5'1 and I'm going to be getting liposculture in 3 months but I am about 40 pounds overweight should I loose weight first to get better results or should I just stay how I am?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

Lose weight first

It's better to lose the weight first because you may find that you don't need liposuction anymore, especially since you are only 20 years old. 

Ideal Weight and Liposuction

It is best to be at a comfortable weight going into a lipo procedure. Losing weight after lipo is always better than trying to lose it before and possibly not being able to maintain the weight loss and gaining weight after the procedure.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Ideal Liposuction Results

Thank you for your question. Loss of weight is ideal, but as you lose weight, you may also lose some energy, and healing ability due to calorie reduction. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Overweight is not an advantage

to be overweight is not definitly an advantage. lipo is not for losing weight lipo is for winning shape. complications of all procedures are more frecuent in overwight patients . i recommend to lose wight before any esthetic surgery

Ramon Sabala, MD

Liposculpture and weight loss

Both liposuction and the reinjection of fat to other areas (liposculpture) is best done clost to an ideal body weight. It is certainly best to be at a weight that you plan to be at after the operation since this will give you the best chance for the surgeon to give you the best proportions. A small amount of excess is OK since we need to be able to harvest some fat. In my mind, the ideal candidates have a BMI between 23 and 28. I certainly use my judgement on either side of this depending on the relative proportions of the patient. In your case, I would certainly plan to lose about 20 pounds if possible. Just do it in a healthy way that does not compromise your overall health prior to surgery.

Liposuction when you are very overweight

Liposuction is ideal for patients who are close to their ideal weight but have areas of excess fat that dont seem to come down with diet and exercise. If you are 40 lbs overweight at your height, you are not an ideal candidate. While you may benefit from lipo now, you will benefit more if you can get closer to your ideal weight. Best of luck.

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

40 lbs Overweight and Liposuction

If you are 40 lbs overweight, you should consider losing at least another 20 lbs before getting the liposuction performed.   This will only improve the results.  The fat that remains after weight loss will be the stubborn residual fat that is best addressed with liposuction.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA