3 Weeks post op Facelift, I am unsatisfied with my results. Doctor suggested Fillers. Do I need a revision? (photos)

I am completely dissatisfied with my full facelift results. I was hoping for a more youthful me, and I just don't feel that was achieved. I had the surgery 3 weeks ago and the surgeon said he can't do anything more other than for me to pay for fillers. Do I have any hope for getting a revision? Do any surgeons offer a discount for fixing another surgeons work?

Facelift revision

Because lighting in the before and after pictures is different, it is difficult to comment on your particular situation.. It does appear that there is potential for improvement either with a revision or with fillers or a combination of both. In addition further lifting along with fat grafting could possibly improve your situation.

New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unsatisfied with the facelift results

I am sorry that your facelift did not meet expectations.  Even though it could be quite frustrating I would urge you to wait for at least 6 month before contemplating a revision. If in 6 month you are still dissatisfied with  your look, it might be a good time to schedule a consultation with a surgeon who specializes in facelifts (better two or three consultations with different surgeons).  Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that someone would offer you a discount for a revision procedure. However, more and more doctors nowadays offer free consultations to new patients, so, at least, you would not be penalized for doing a good research.

Best wishes!
Dr. Konstantin

Konstantin Vasyukevich, MD

Unsatisfied result

Though more time is usually needed to determine if you will need a revision or not, I am concerned that the jowls and especially the neck will not settle out to your satisfaction. You may need to have the neck tightened along with the platysma muscle. That would correct the lower face and neck looseness.

3 Weeks post op Facelift, I am unsatisfied with my results. Doctor suggested Fillers. Do I need a revision?

It takes weeks to months for swelling to subside, and your face to heal.  If you are still unhappy in 6 to 12 months, consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the ASPS,  who has years of experience in cosmetic surgery.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Facelift, Fillers

You have to be clear about what you discussed with your surgeon.  Many times a facelift is not just about the face but the neck also.  There is a lot of misunderstanding of the entire operation/s in the market place. The actual surgery you may have wanted can be described as a lower face to improve the jawline, the jowls etc. and also the neck to remove the excess skin, fat and the bands etc.  
The lines next to the face (nasolabial folds) etc will need fillers despite a face lift. Many times fillers are done at the time of the surgery to enhance the outcome. But all of this has to be discussed with your surgeon.
Looking at your photos, while it is early in the process, the neck may need revision if you are unhappy.
It may or may not improve with time.  Either way, you should try and wait atleast 6 months or so before doing anything else.  As for the face, if you are unhappy with the lines next to your nose and maybe around the mouth, the choice would be fillers and for that you don't have to wait.
I wish you all the best.

Shashidhar Kusuma, MD
Plantation Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Revision Wait Period

I am so sorry for your distress. At this point you will need to wait some months - 6 or more preferable to allow your facial soft tissues to heal fully and regain its suppleness, and be at a baseline to best re-evaluate you for possible revision. 
Most important is to go to a board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon with great experience in facelift revisions. 

Facelift results disappointing

I am sorry to hear of your experience. Your result is inadequate. Fillers will not help. Your neck and lower face should have been lifeted as well. I would suggest consulting a board certified plastic surgeon with an excellent reputation for facelifting, but you will need to wait 3 months for revision.

Disappointment after a facelift

In my practice, it is not uncommon to see patients who express disappointment with a previous facelift.  Before commenting, I always ask the patient to obtain records of their previous surgery.  While I certainly agree, from the pictures you sent, your result is disappointing, there are so many factors involved that is would be inappropriate to comment further without knowing what was done.

Often results like this represent some sort of minimal approach to facelifting.  If, indeed, that's the case, than sometimes it's just "getting what you paid for".  I personally don't think fillers are the answer in your case.  I probably would suggest some sort of revisional surgery.   Sometimes just a "tuck" will do, but again I wouldn't want to make a specific recommendation without knowing more about you and the surgery carried out.

Practices differ, but in our practice we always make financial consideration when situations like this come up.  After all, our main goal is to have a happy, satisfied patient.  I would think your surgeon would feel the same.  Ask him if he wants you to be an example of his work?

Howard A. Tobin, MD
Abilene Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unsatisfied after facelift.

This is an inadequate result.  Even accounting for swelling it is clear that this facelift did not address your needs.  
If you do not have any complications then at least you are only out time and money.  

It is too early to consider another procedure since the wounds have to fully heal and the scars need to fully mature.  I would wait a minimum of two months before considering a revision.  It is important to see a surgeon with experience in this area to maximize your chances of a good result while minimizing risk.  My advice is to find a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who has experience with revision facelifts.  Be sure to see a comprehensive portfolio of pre- and post-op pictures so you can gauge his/her expertise and also to see the types of results that are reasonable to expect.

Unhappy with face lift result

Thank you for your face lift question.

• It is so disappointing to feel this way after a face lift,
  • I wonder if perhaps you had a facial laser and  mini-lift, given your skin changes.
  • Fillers won't help now -- you are swollen and it is hard to tell what to do with fillers now,
  • You will need a revision by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon,
  • We are usually happy to discount touch-up procedures for own own patients
  • But your surgeon would involve a complete re-face lift of an unsatisfactory one.
  • It is unrealistic to expect a better surgeon to do a harder operation, so as to fix another surgeon's disappointing work for a discounted fee. That is why it is so important to look for excellence at the start.
  • Hope this helps but I know it's a hard time for you. Best wishes.