No Results After Many Laser Hair Removal Treatments, Should I Give Up?

iam dark skin(indian) and had many laser hair removal treatments with cynosure(yag) and candela(yag). Over two years iam not getting any closer its seems my hair are getting coarser, iam very concern. Should i continue with the laser treatments or just go back to shaving.

Ineffective LASER hair removal for Indian Patient with Nd:YAG

Ineffective laser hair removal may be a result of inappropriate wavelength, underpowered laser (low fluence or hand piece that requires replacement), underlying medical or hormonal condition (i.e. polycystic ovary disease), or provider with not using appropriate technique or settings.

Indian hair tends to be coarser and requires appropriate fluence or power and wavelength.  Nd:YAG tends to require more treatments as it is not as efficient as newer generation diode lasers.  In my office's experience, diode lasers tend to be effective and safe at removing Indian hair.  IPL is not a good treatment option, particularly for Indian hair removal, as the level of power to treat hair effectively is typically not safe on Indian skin types.  IPL also takes much longer than diode laser systems.

There is no single best laser system, but characteristics of a good laser hair removal office and laser are as follows for Indian hair removal

-Experience treating Indian Skin- Staff must be knowledgable about Indian Skin and understand how to treat it.  If the fluence is too low, more hair can result (hypertrichosis) rather than hair loss

-Proper wavelength- Diode and Nd:YAG are the two best lasers for Indian hair removal.  In my office, we prefer the diode as it requires less sessions and tends to be more effective in targeting and treating hair (more hair removed per session)

-Appropriate cooling- All laser systems need cooling to provide safety and comfort.  Uncomfortable laser hair removal tends to result in lower laser hair settings and can cause actual more hair to occur rather than less hair.

Hope that is helpful.

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Diode Laser for East Indian Skin

Hi Love all.  No you should not give up but you should change providers.  We treat up to dark skin type IV, including East Indians using a Lumenis Lightsheer Diode laser.  It is the most common laser hair removal device in the world.  

While we also use a long pulsed yag laser like the one you referenced, Indians can be treated on either type.  If you are not getting permanent hair removal with the yag laser you should switch practitioners to a practice that uses diode lasers for your skin type.  No need to give up yet.  Check the before and after pictures at the link below - we treat all skin types successfully.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD