Restylane Injections from a General Practitioner?

Is it safe for a General Practitioner to give me Restylane injections? I'm 21 years old and of Indian descent. I have hollow dark circles under my eyes and I want to try Restylane as I've heard a lot of good things about it for dark circles from patients and doctors on this site. I've also heard of a case of blindness from filler being injected into arteries that supply the eye and I'm worried. Would a GP be knowledgeable enough in eye anatomy to safely perform this procedure?

Doctor Answers 7

You obviously have enough doubts to write about it

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Shirya

Please listen to your personal concerns! You will never go wrong listening to your intuition. You are clearly not comfortable with the situation. If you felt comfortable you would of had service and never bothered yourself about the situation.

While a GP might be licensed to perform the treatment, it is improbable that they understand the eyelid anatomy. This is essential because it is possible to inject filler into the blood vessels in the face leading to damage to the circulation and potentially, blindness. Therefore it is essential that your doctor has a surgical knowledge of the face to minimize this risk.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Who should inject your fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You can have a hot dog vendor, accountant, or even plumber inject your face since "all you need to do is push a syringe." Kidding aside, don't trust your face to anyone other than a specialist such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. I have spent way too much time trying to fix the problems of GPs and nurses, which is not always fixable, and sometimes very painful and costly to fix. Do it right from the start, just like anything else in life. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

GPs injecting Restylane

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I think you should trust your face to a specialist who is experienced in injecting facial filler and is familiar with the facial anatomy and various methods for rejuvenation. There are many such plastic surgeons and dermatologists who can perform the procedure so I would encourage you to do a bit of research and find a specialist with whom you are comfortable and whose credentials are suitable for this treatment.

This isn't a good idea

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While anyone can 'technically' inject you (from nurse to family doctor to surgeon), it pays to see someone who truly specializes in this area, especially when it comes to the eyes.  This area is very demanding and, if done wrong, will cause a world of problems for you. 

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 50 reviews

Restylane injection into the tear trough is an advanced technique

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Restylane injections into the tear troughs is a nice option to help soften the depth and shadowing in this area. However, it is a very delicate anatomic area that will reveal any imperfections quite readily. It's important, therefore, to pick someone who understands the anatomy very well so as to avoid any major complications. In my experience, this type of procedure needs to be performed by someone with a lot of injection experience-- pick your surgeon carefully.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 155 reviews

Trust your face only to a specialist

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are a numbers of non-specialists who are well trained and perform excellent filler treatments. However, you can't always tell if the person you choose is one of these. It is safer and a better bet to seek out a specialist who has intimate knowledge of the face, facial anatomy and experience in filler useage, especially in a such a delicate area. These are called "core" specialists and include:

Facial Plastic Surgeons

Plastic Surgeons

Oculoplastic Surgeons

Dermatologic Surgeons

Steven J. Pearlman, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 141 reviews

Restylane Injections Around the Eyes by General Practioner

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Shirya,

The eye lid hollows are a very delicate and unforgiving area to treat with Restylane.

You should have only the most experienced and well trained physician injecting in this area. Your concerns are well founded. Any physician may have a complication, but you decrease your chances of a severe adverse event by having a physician with intimate knowledge of the area performing your injections.

I would not let a general practicioner inject me, family, or friends. Find a physician with knowledge of the anatomy of the area (plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, opthalmo-plastic surgeon, ENT, or cosmetically trained dermatologist).

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.