What Filler is Best for Under Eye Furrows?

I am 34 and have always had dark eye shadows. Hereditary for sure but now I'm 34 and have lost 20-30lbs. I took up dancing recently too and now see incredible deflation on my eyes, cheeks, folds. What filler/procedure is best for me? I thought I looked good before I saw these pics..

Doctor Answers 4

Under eye furrows

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
When it comes to your specific concern, there are 2 main treatment options: surgical and non-surgical.
For surgical options you should see a facial plastic surgeon who can give you definitive answer in terms of the nature of the procedure, which if done appropriately could diminish the protruding bulge that is a result of a fat pad.
If you are not interested in surgery, then several fillers (typically hyaluronic acid based) can be utilized to camouflage this area and lessen the extent of your "shadows". in the right hands, these fillers can all be effective but typically restylane-based family is favoured for this specific location.

Calgary Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

You may be able to improve the appearance of your lower eyelid bags with an Injectable Filler treatment.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I reviewed your photo and your concerns. You could soften the appearance of your lower eyelid bags by having an Injectable Filler treatment to the groove between the bag and your cheek.

This must be performed by a board-certified specialist experienced with filling delicate, unforgiving lower eyelid skin. My personal preference for this area is Silikon-1000 for permanent results.

If any of my colleagues wish to learn more about my experience with Silikon-1000, I am giving an instructional course in Boston at the upcoming Fall Meeting of The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS). The course is titled "Off-Label Applications of Liquid Injectable Silicone (LIS)", and I will be presenting on 9/24/2010 at 4pm. Common conditions treated include: volume replacement, wrinkle reduction, lip enhancement, acne scarring, and correction of many nasal irregularities (“Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty”). I will also be describing the serial puncture, microdroplet technique that is essential for achieving desired results.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 435 reviews

Fillers for under eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

First a good exam is important.  If you have herniated lower eyelid fat, you may want to have them reduced in size. Second the nasojugal groove and the depression along your lower rim can certainly be delicately filled with a small particle size filler like restylane.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

You might also like...

Treating under eye furrows

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The inner portion of the under eye furrow is called the tear trough or nasojugal groove. When it is not accompanied by excess skin or too much fat protrusion into the eyelid filler injection into the trough has been a good and well documented option. Juvederm and Restylane are most commonly used for this.I believe your case is a little different. In the photo I see 2 bulging areas. The upper one begins just below the eyelashes and is mostly muscle. This usually comes from chronic squinting in smokers or people who use/need eyeglasses. The lower bulge is protruding eyelid fat. Although a filler may camouflage the the lower edge of this bulging fat it cannot be used to camouflage the lower edge of the upper bulging area.

For a more detailed explanation with diagrams you can read my blog.

Aaron Stone, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.