For how long should you have your palate expander?

I have a top and bottom expander and braces. My orthodontist said I won't be getting my expanders off till my braces come off which seems like a too much, most people only have it for 6 months or less.

Orthodontist Have Different Criteria

But in my experience most doctors leave them in for about six months at the beginning of treatment.  There are definitely some exceptions.   For example, adults will tend to have them longer.  Patients who had surgery in combination with expansion tend to have them longer.  The whole point is to try to minimize relapse.  We have to balance that with patient comfort and desire.  Try to ask your doctor for an explanation.

Atlanta Orthodontist