I am 22 years old and have a history of breast cancer, will it still be okay for me to get a breast augmentation?

currently a 34 A trying to be a very full B cup. Any recommendations with which kind of implants would be wonderful.

Breast Cancer

If you are referring to a family history of breast cancer that would have different considerations than a personal history of cancer diagnosis in yourself. I recommend that you discuss these considerations in person with your chosen Plastic Surgeon. Each case/person is different. Mammograms and routine breast exams can still be done with breast implants.
All the best

Discuss with the right surgeon and your oncologist

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a  Breast Augmentation.

History breast cancer

Hello,  breast augmentation is not necessarily contraindicated for patients with a family history of breast cancer.  However, breast implants can impact on screening for breast cancer (with mammograms etc) so it is very important to discuss this issue with your surgeon so you are fully informed of the risks.    It would also be worthwhile involving your family doctor in the discussion.

Breast Augmentation

Hi there and thanks for posting,I am not sure if you have had breast cancer yourself or if you have a family history of Breast Cancer.It is quite an important distinction and would have impacts on  your treatment.Whilst breast implants do not increase the risk of breast cancer or delay the diagnosis of breast cancer, each case needs to be considered individually.I would need a better history to be able to give you an informed decision.Richard

Breasts augmentation with history of breasts cancer

Dear crmoon,     In situation like yours, it is in your best interest to obtain clearance for the procedure from your oncologist, to make sure that you do not have any residual disease and that your treatment is complete. Once you got cleared, the best option for you will be sub muscular breasts augmentation with saline implants, that will allow for best resolution of your mammogram.   As far as implants size, since you want to be 34 full B cup size, based on the information that you provided, you will need implants with volume of 300 cc.  Obviously , your surgeon will have to take your real chest and breasts circumference measurement in inches , which is the most accurate way to achieve your desired breasts cup size.   You have to realize that not all results are the same because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good outcome. So , do your due diligence carefully and choose your surgeon wisely.    Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive, with nice cleavage, perky, symmetrical and natural looking. Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf' for ratings and good experience reports.                                Best of luck,                                                   Dr Widder

Consult with an oncologist first

You should consult with an oncologist to stratify your risk for breast cancer and possibly have gene testing based on their recommendations.

Breast Augmentation after Breast Cancer

Thank you for your question. We commonly use breast implants for breast cancer reconstruction so it is okay for you to have a breast augmentation. Future screening will be especially important for you so I would also discuss this with your breast cancer specialists.  From my perspective, implants placed below the muscle would be best for you with respect to future imaging studies so the breast tissue may be easier to screen. You may consider seeing a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in both aesthetic and reconstructive breast surgery. Best of luck in your search!
Instagram: @mesbahimd

Alex N. Mesbahi, MD
McLean Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants After Breast Cancer....?

Breast Implants have been shown to be safe with a history of breast cancer.  With the new high resolution, digital mammography and the new mammogram techniques, there should be very little concern about missing something due to the presence of an implant.   And, As mentioned by Dr Kolb, Breast Implants have actually been shown in some studies to reduce the risk of getting breast cancer by about 30%Definitely consult an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.   Good Luck

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  It is safe to have a breast augmentation despite your history as long as you maintain close surveillance with your breast surgeon for routine mammograms and MRI's. Hope this helps.

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. This is safe and many patients with your story undergo breast augmentation.  You will need to continue breast monitoring with special view mammography, but this is once again extremely common.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD