CoolSculptung or Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I'm debating between Cool Sculpting versus abdominoplasty. Since my ultimate goal is to shrink the size of my abdomen and not necessarily get a washboard stomach, I think I'll be happy with Cool Sculpting. But based on the size of my abdomen after two c-sections and diastasis recti, I'm afraid Cool Sculpting may not be enough. I'd greatly appreciate input from this board. I'm very active with running and yoga. My weight is relatively stable although I wouldn't mind losing 10lb.

CoolSculpting vs. Tummy Tuck

CoolSculpting can be a great option for patients wanting to reduce fat in typical problem areas of the body. CoolSculpting is FDA-cleared for the treatment of the abdomen, flanks, inner and outer thighs, and also underneath the chin. Ideal candidates for CoolSculpting are at a healthy, stable weight. It is not meant for weight loss. Instead, it helps patients to contour their body by addressing bulges of excess fat, not bulk. While it does appear you would be a good candidate for CoolSculpting, you would want to address your goals with a board-certified plastic surgeon at a consultation appointment. Good luck!

CoolSculpting® may be all that’s needed.

Thanks for your question and photos. Given that you have modest and realistic goals and expectations, CoolSculpting® may be able to give you the fat reduction and smaller waist that you desire. Keep in mind that there are limitations as to how dramatic of a result you can achieve with nonsurgical treatments, but if you’d like to avoid surgery then I would recommend giving CoolSculpting® a try. There is a possibility that you may still desire more improvement and surgical body contouring, such as liposuction or a tummy tuck, may be necessary to bring your results to the next level. There’s no harm in trying CoolSculpting® first, so I’d say give it a shot and see if you feel you still need more intervention. No matter which option you decide, be sure to visit a board certified plastic surgeon.

CoolSculpting Potential

It looks as though CoolSculpting may be one option potential treatment option. I would suggest that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in both CoolSculpting and liposuction. Your surgeon will be able to discuss your concerns and recommend the appropriate treatment based on your individual needs. Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting Vs. Abdominoplasty

CoolSculpting is a great option if you have pinchable fat bulges.  Since you have had multiple pregnancies, you may have some muscle separation that is causing your abdomen to have more of a bulge.  If the muscle separation is the true cause of the bulge, a tummy tuck would be your only option to flatten this.  If the bulge is mainly fat, then you would most likely be a CoolSculpting candidate.  It would be best for you to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to see which is your best option.  

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

CoolSculpting or Tummy Tuck?

From your photos you appear to be in excellent shape with just a mild degree of excess volume of the abdomen and flanks.  You don't appear to have any skin laxity, and if there is no skin laxity I would not recommend skin removal (tummy tuck). A more appropriate question may be liposuction vs CoolSculpting?   Either would be a good option.  The option liposuction or non surgical fat reduction is very dependent on your goals.  Non-surgical fat reduction with CoolSculpting we typically are able to reduce the fat volume by 25-30 % reduction after 1 treatment.  If another treatment is performed, usually we can see additional fat reduction, which we commonly recommend to allow a treatment to transformation to achieve an optimal outcome. In looking at your photos, I would probably recommend CoolSculpting for you.  While liposuction is an option, it is a surgical procedure.  CoolSculpting is non-surgical, non-invasive.  No needles , no downtime.  I think you would have an awesome result!

Pros & Cons of CS vs. tummy tuck

Hi and thanks for sharing photos.  If you can pinch significant fat then Coolsculpting is a reasonable option-it will not address your muscle separation though.  If you see a lot of difference when you tighten your abdominal muscles (hold in your muscles), and that is the look you are seeking, then a tuck is the only way to achieve that. Remember that liposuction can be completed at the time of the tuck to address the excess fat. Pros of CS: no anesthesia, minimal downtime-possible numbness, bruising, swelling; Cons-multiple cycles and possibly repeat treatments to get desired result.  Pros of surgery: single treatment provides maximum contouring by repairing muscle, removing fat and reshaping belly button; Cons-scar, need anesthesia, days of downtime. Have a consultation with an ABPS certified plastic surgeon, and a certified Coolsculpting specialist (graduate of Coolsculpting University-advanced Zeltiq training) for more info.  Best wishes!

CoolSculpting verses Tummy Tuck

CoolSculpting can provide a moderate improvement—approximately a 20% reduction in fat in the areas treated, but it does not tighten loose skin. An abdominoplasty is major surgery, whereas CoolSculpting is non-invasive, so you could always start with CoolSculpting and then reassess. An alternative might be considering liposuction, which is a surgical procedure but less extensive than an abdominoplasty. Like CoolSculpting, liposuction does not tighten loose skin, but it can provide more substantial fat reduction in a single procedure than Coolsculpting. A plastic surgeon can help you assess which options are best for you.

David P. Rapaport, MD

Coolsculpting vs. Tummy Tuck

The only way to know with any certainty which procedure you would be a better candidate for would be an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Though the diastasis would not be addressed by Coolsculpting, it may address any targeted areas of fat that you are having trouble getting rid of through your regular diet and exercise program. If you can't grab the fat on your tummy quite easily, you may not be the best candidate for Coolsculpting.  Good luck!

Grant Stevens, MD

Coolsculpting May be the Way to GO!

It seems like you are very health with a localized area of fat.  The overlying skin itself appears to have good tone.  Coolsculpting may be the best non surgical alternative to treat this issue.  While surgical options would give the best result, you certainly appear to be a Coolsculpting candidate.  

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

CoolSculptung or Tummy Tuck?

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to tell without assessing you. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. If you have already, perhaps getting a second opinion may help. This way, you can explain all your concerns and find an option that fits your desires. An in-person assessment is always best. Good luck!

Martin Jugenburg, MD