Are breast implants an option with scar from pectus excavatum? (photos)

I was born with a concave breastbone (pectus excavatum) that required surgery as a child. Because my breasts never developed much, the scar is really visible. I'm wondering if the scar could be hidden in the process of getting implants and, if so, how much more complicated that would make the procedure. I've been considering implants for years but I'm nervous that the results won't be what I want. Are there specialists for this kind of issue?

Yes, breast augmentation with implants is possible.

Your scar isn’t a barrier to having breast augmentation with implants, however, the surgery is unlikely to hide your scar. Your plastic surgeon may recommend using your old scar to avoid creating a second scar, and may also include scar revision surgery to minimize the scar and help it blend better into your skin. I recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with performing breast augmentation in women with pectus excavatum.

Breast implants to mask scar from pectus excavation deformity

implants can definitely “mask” the pectus excavation deformity. The prostheses
can be put submuscular which will fill the medial breast void and also will
correct the breast asymmetry. Autologous fat grafting is also a possibility to fill the sternal defect.

Stephen M. Krant, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

BA/ Scarring

Thank you for your question and photos. It appears that your Plastic Surgeon could use existing scars as an incision route for implants while potentially minimizing their thickness in that area. You will need an in-person exam to assess tissue and be measured for implant options. I recommend meeting with a board certified Plastic Surgeon in person.
All the best

Breast Augmentation after Pectus Excavatum surgery

Definitely possible to have a BA after Pectus surgery.  I've done a couple of these over the years.  You can use the existing scars.  If your ribs are wired and they are still present, these need to be avoided.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation after pectus repair

Thank you for your question and photos.  In short, yes, it is possible to have a breast augmentation after an open pectus repair.  You could even have the scars revised to try to make them a bit more narrow.  The implants could be placed through the existing scar to minimize additional scars.  The scars will potentially be less noticeable with a scar revision but the augmentation itself will likely not "hide" the scars.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Implants and Pectus Excavatum.

The scar will always be visible.  Your PS can most likely use the scar to put the implants in and then perhaps revise the scar to make it less visible.  These decisions could be made pre-operatively and then some intra-operative depending upon what the scar does when the implant is in. 

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Scar from pectus surgery and breast augmentation

Yes, breast augmentation is definitely possible with the scars from your pectus excavatum surgery, and as a matter of fact, those scars can be used for the augmentation and you will have a great result.

Breast Augmentation with pectus excavatum scar

I think you are a candidate for breast augmentation.  Your scars will still be present but likely part of the scar can be used to place your implants.  Seek consultation appointments with board certified plastic surgeon in your area who perform a lot of breast surgery.

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Breast Augmentation Questions

Hello,You will be able to have breast augmentation, but this will not hide scars. In fact, if you choose implants that are too large, it will make the scar more noticeable because it will tether between the breasts, causing a bridge like structure across your sternum and indentations on the underside of each breast.Go visit a few ABPS certified and ASAPS member surgeons who specialize in cosmetic breast surgery.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Scars after pectus excavatum

Hello,  thank you for your question and photos.   Breast implants could an option for you the enhance the appearance of your breasts but the scars will remain.   We can use the scar to put the implants and not add another unnecessary scar.  Have a great day.  

Derby Sang Caputo, MD