So I have a little bit of small blue veins on my legs at the calves and knee what are they and how do I prevent them? (photo)

Ret

These look like reticular veins and the best treatment for them is sclerotherapy.  Keeping fit, staying trim, wearing support hose when possible are all ways to help to prevent them.  However, many times these veins are genetic in origin and you may need to periodically treat them as they arise.

Naples General Surgeon

Blue reticular veins

Those blue/green reticular veins can be easily treated with sclerotherapy injections. If you are symptomatic or notice more of those veins coming to the surface, then I recommend having a venous ultrasound before starting any treatment.

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician

How to Treat Blue Veins in the Legs

Hi Leo, the blue blood vessels you are seeing look like reticular blood vessels and they are most often caused by valves in the vessels that fail to work correctly.  This is usually a genetic concern and is very often chronic (manageable but not curable).  We use sclerotherapy for reticular vessls of this size and for smaller ones we prefer lasers.  

To see an example of another Reseda, CA patient that had treatment of the same type of blood vessels with sclerotherapy, click on the before and after photo link below.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Leg veins

Those appear to be reticular veins by the size.  These most often form due to genetics, pregnancies, and in people who work on their feet for long periods.

Best way to prevent these is to wear compression socks or hose, especially when you are on your feet.  If you are also bothered by leg swelling, heaviness, cramps or other symptoms, you may have a deeper issue with your veins.

If you have symptoms, I would recommend a consultation with ultrasound to see what is going on below the surface.  If it is only the veins, then these can be treated with cosmetic sclerotherapy.  

Good luck to you,

Dr. Powell

Scott Powell, MD
Denton General Surgeon

Treatable veins

These blue veins can be from multiple etioligies. It is important to rule out reflux in the larger veins in the leg by having an ultrasound evaluation. Some of the risk factors that can cause reflux or reversal of blood flow in the large veins includes hereditary or genetics, life style which includes standing or sitting for extended periods of time, hormone changes or even previous trauma to the area. Veins generally don't improve without treatment. Today's treatment option are wonderful and generally pain free. 

Ivan Brooks, MD
Beverly Hills Physician