100 pounds lost. What Kind of tummy tuck would I need? (photos)

6 years ago i started dieting and i dropped 100 pounds in about 2 to 3 years and i have been lifting for 3 years now but clearly thats not really helping and i am gonna need a surgery eventually. My concern is that do i need a full tummy tuck or a Mini one would be enough? I am an intermatonal student and constantly in class all year long so i am looking for something with minimal recovery time. Thank you

Mini or full tummy tuck after weight loss?

Congratulations on your weight loss! It requires a lot of dedication and discipline to loose100 pounds and keep it off. You bring up a commonly asked question after weight loss. In your case, with skin laxity located both above and below the belly button, I would recommend a full tummy tuck. The skin overhang located above your belly button would not improve with a mini tummy tuck alone. Best of luck!

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck for a Male after Weight Loss

Congrats on your achievement  After a substantial weight loss such as yours the skin elasticity is lost.  Without a doubt you'd benefit most from an extended abdominoplasty (with an incision continuing out onto your flanks) based on other similar patients whom I've seen.  Don't try to squeeze in the procedure, but instead be certain that you allow enough time for a proper and complication free recovery.  Enjoy the video above.

Best of luck.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV
Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

100 pounds lost. What Kind of tummy tuck would I need

I think in your case that a full tummy tuck would be required to give you the best appearance. I think that a mini tummy tuck would leave you with loose skin above the belly button and the  appearance of a tight lower and loose upper abdomen would not look the best.

Julio Garcia, MD

Mini or Full?

Congrats on your #weightloss!

From these photos, it appears to me as though you would benefit most from a full #abdominoplasty.  A #minitummytuck is usually best for only a small amount of excess skin.

That being said, you need to book an in-person consultation with a #BoardCertified #PlasticSurgeon to determine which procedure will be best for you.

Best of luck.

Type of tummy tuck

Congratulations on your weight loss and fitness at this time.  From your photos, anything short of a complete abdominoplasty would not be ideal.  If only the tissue from below your belly button was removed, the upper abdomen would not be smooth.

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck

Awesome weight loss and you did it the right way over an extended period of time combined with an exercise program.  Would recommend that you schedule a consultation with me for us to determine recovery time for a full tummy tuck.

Beverly Hills and Los Angeles Locations

With minimal skin laxity

a mini-tuck should be adequate for your needs.  You have to know what will happen with your belly button and whether it is floated, transposed, or removed and reconstructed later.

Curtis Wong, MD

Full Abdominoplasty

You would need a full tummy tuck to tighten the skin above the belly button.  Recovery would be the same as a mini, because you would not need muscle tightening. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons.

Best.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Options after Massive Weight Loss

Congratulations on your weight loss; that is quite an accomplishment!

Most patients that have lost the degree of weight that you have would benefit from more than a mini-tummy tuck. A mini-tummy tuck primarily addresses the excess skin and muscle separation below the level of the belly button.

Your photos also show excess skin above the belly button in that you can see the skin drooping over and partially obscuring this structure. 

A full abdominoplasty allows the excess skin above and below the umbilicus to be addressed and can also provide nice access to bring the full length of the rectus abdominis muscles back together in the midline. You may also benefit from some flank (love handle) liposuction at the same time as your tummy tuck in order to achieve the optimal postoperative contour. 

Some bariatric patients also benefit from a fleur-de-lis abdominoplasty that adds a vertical midline incision. This type of abdominoplasty can address the full length of muscle separation but also tighten up excess skin in the horizontal and vertical dimensions. The major downside of this option is a vertical scar that is hard to hide in bathing suit-type attire. 

I would select (with the help of your plastic surgeon) the abdominoplasty type that will give you the best result; I am not sure that the perceived benefit of a faster recovery associated with a mini-abdominoplasty would be worth it.

Ashley B. Robey, MD

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a full tummy tuck with liposuction. This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD